PDA

View Full Version : HMB Rockfish 9-30-06

CORN
10-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Met up with hqly2001 for a day of rockfishing. *Found out he lives less than 2 miles from my house.

I told him I wanted to explore some new areas. *So the first thing we did was run to my sanddab spot where he hooked a quick dozen or so. *Then we ran to San Gregario. *I've heard that the action was HOT out there. *We tried 4 different reefs @ 60, 90, 135 and 150 feet with no luck. *We stuck it out until after noon, with only 2 fish to show for. *Gotta find those hot reefs. *I know they're out there ... I just didn't find them.

So, I decided to hit my reliable Ritz spot. *On the way back, we stopped over bait splashing at the surface. *We picked up several 8-12 inch smelt. *When we got to the spot, hqly2001 worked the smelt for the big ones and I focused on filling the box. *He caught a 15lb ling and our biggest blue.

Final count: one 15lb ling, one china, one gopher, one vermilion, and blues to fill out our limit. *We threw back over 2 dozen small fish. *Water was flat and calm. *Swimbaits caught a majority of the fish.

keciga1
10-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Nice job on the rockies, and thank you for the report.

hqly2001
10-02-2006, 12:43 PM
hey corn,

Awesome day on the water.. too bad we couldn;t get anything at san g.. we'll get them next time... that darn fishing itch is back lol..
thanks again for a great time!

CORN
10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
No problem. You're welcome aboard anytime. Glad you were able to hook a monster ling. Just think what we could have caught if we hit those honey holes all day ... next time.