PDA

View Full Version : Catching Sand Dabs at alcatraz?

GeorgePAKA
09-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I've heard through some friends i could catch sanddabs (look like baby halibut) at alcatraz. I Guess my question then is which side, how deep, do they move per the season, and where is a good place to go on the marin coast to follow up the bait fishin and get some great lings? I've made some trips on our boat out to the farlons and had great success. $150.00 in gass later im thinkin it would be nice to be able to catch decent lings closer to the bay. If you know of a good rock pile (or a couple) and would care to share some info with a knowledge hungry fishing fanatic, it would be much appreciated. Im stuck fishing out deep when id much rather be in 100ft or less. Thanks for any info on the sanddabs or a ling drift. email at NIKandGEO@Hotmail.com if you dont want your info posted. Thanks!

mike22ca
09-28-2006, 08:13 AM
You sure those aren't baby halibuts that their catching out by alcatraz? I've never heard of sandabs being caught in the bay. I'm sure if that was the case, party boats would be all over it before the headed out to the islands

Fish_R_Us
09-28-2006, 09:06 AM
These Sandabs seem to occupy the GG Bay Inlet and surrounding areas this time of the year. Good spots are the piers close to the GG Bridge (both San Francisco & Marin counties) Ft. Mason, SF Piers, Ft. Point for the landlocked population or anywhere in the from the GG Bridge up to past Red Rock, for the boaters. They seem to congregate at the shallower, sand/muddy bottoms.

The most common rig is a 3-5 ft light leader (12 lbs. or lighter) with a number of small # 8-10 hooks, each tipped with a small chunk of squid and weighted at both ends. That way the entire string lays flat against the bottom. Cast out and you should get bites almost immediately. What most do is wait for a while before retreiving your setup. That way you will have hooked a couple fish on one cast. These sandabs seem to stay during thruout the HI and LO tides, however most active during slack periods. If you hit the right place, one can obtain a bucket full in 1-2 hours time.

Cleaned & fried (in egg batter) these are pretty tasty, although one must be careful of the bones.

GeorgePAKA
09-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Im not very familiar with those area you mentioned, which isnt a problem, however i am launching out of berkley marina, is there one spot closer to my launch area more than another? Which do you think would be the most promising to produce a tank for the day quickly without waisting time or gas?

And by the way thank you for the information you have thus far provided. As it is helpfull i am still struggling to understand these specific area you talk about. Thanks again

isaaco77
09-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Closest ling action I've heard of is off the Towers, north of Duxburry. Everybody has their spots, but usually aren't willing to share them. The trip to the islands or point reyes is your best bet. I've caught lots of sand dabs right off of Point Reyes in 90' of water, motored out to 170' and turned them into limits if lingcod. I rigged them up live right onto a 12 oz. jig head. Mackeral work good to.