Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surf fishing pointers or teacher

I plug for surf perch and striper's good youtube tutorials learn from the most important thing I would suggest is learn to read the water and keep moving till you find fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Surf fishing pointers or teacher

My brother was fishing Aptos beach last weekend and caught a 25# striper he was fishing for perch and this monster hit the bait.He uses a 9'mediun spinning rod and reel wit a slider sinker setup uses gulp pile worms and # 4 hook.Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soconnor View Post
    If one were to target stripers or halibut from the beach, any suggestions on what bait would be used? Sand crabs? Shrimp? Squid?
    Sandcrabs will do the trick for stripers. Dig down several inches into the wet sand and find some nice ones with roe (EDIT: some anglers swear by softshell ones too; I don't have enough experience to know if it makes a difference). Hook one on a sliding rig or two on a hi-lo surf leader rig, cast out on an appropriately sized pyramid sinker, and you're good to go. Set the rod in the holder and watch for the bends.
    Last edited by BiteArray; 07-25-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Always Be Casting! - The mantra of an obsessive angler

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If one were to target stripers or halibut from the beach, any suggestions on what bait would be used? Sand crabs? Shrimp? Squid?

Post Thanks / Like

Look up More than fishing, Fishermens life, Die hard fishing, Ish with fish, Hook to cook on youtube all local surf fishermen. Plenty of insight on surf fishing.

7. Likes mrmike130s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman69 View Post
    Coming to the Aptos area next month and want to learn the ins and outs of surf fishing. Will be in town 20th of july for 8 days camping. Looking for someone to show me or send me in the right direction to catch surf perch. Any help is appreciated!
    Hey. Go on youtube and look up the perch video by Jd Richey, he lays it down perfectly. Next,hit up Manresa,or Sunset,or New Brighton,and fish the foam. It isn't rocket science,and you may get surprised with a striper or halibut. Good luck!!

9. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surf fishing pointers or teacher

Coming to the Aptos area next month and want to learn the ins and outs of surf fishing. Will be in town 20th of july for 8 days camping. Looking for someone to show me or send me in the right direction to catch surf perch. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the advice I have been watching videos on YouTube and I'm ready to kill em. Will be in Aptos next week surf fishing pictures to follow. If you want to fish hit me up I'll be there all week of the 20th of july.��������������
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sharkman69; 07-29-2019 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Adding pictures