Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rio Vista Striper Trip

"If you’ve got kids or folks who just want action I recommend the trip, but don’t plan on dropping anchor and taking a nap. It’s full time work..."

That is how it's done! When you are the skipper and take the kids or some less experienced fisherfolk out for a day of striper fishing, it's usually a lot of fun and a lot of work. Good for you and double good for those kids. My hat is off to you, Sir. (And thanks for the report.)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rio Vista Striper Trip

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Not saying I was stalking Bass Jack, but his report last week sparked a fire to get in some river time with the kids.

Splashed at Sherman Island about noon (Slow start and long drive). Fished 5 separate spots on an incoming tide for a dozen Stripers, but only 3 legal. Grass was an issue everywhere we stopped. Was worst closest to shore, but even mid channel it was no more than 5 minutes between clearing lines. I’m sure there’ tricks to avoiding it, but I haven’t figured it out.

Caught fish on chicken liver, shad and sardines. Constant action but lots of small fish. I swear circle hooks work great for kids, but I forget the 500 times I have to tell the 5 year old “not yet buddy”. The 10 year old didn’t want to be bothered tending rods so she stuck to net duty and casting hers after dad rebates.

Watched the kite-boarders for a half hour pulling out. Cool vibe and fun group of folks, made the kids think feel welcome watching and cheering. Daughter says she wants one for Christmas.

All in all all a fun day and enough for fish tacos, but not the bragging board. If you’ve got kids or folks who just want action I recommend the trip, but don’t plan on dropping anchor and taking a nap. It’s full time work, or at least was for me. Fish are cleaned, boat is put away and both kids are asleep already. Good day.
    Dandy report...guessing the kids are ready to go again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Rio Vista Striper Trip

Not saying I was stalking Bass Jack, but his report last week sparked a fire to get in some river time with the kids.

Splashed at Sherman Island about noon (Slow start and long drive). Fished 5 separate spots on an incoming tide for a dozen Stripers, but only 3 legal. Grass was an issue everywhere we stopped. Was worst closest to shore, but even mid channel it was no more than 5 minutes between clearing lines. I’m sure there’ tricks to avoiding it, but I haven’t figured it out.

Caught fish on chicken liver, shad and sardines. Constant action but lots of small fish. I swear circle hooks work great for kids, but I forget the 500 times I have to tell the 5 year old “not yet buddy”. The 10 year old didn’t want to be bothered tending rods so she stuck to net duty and casting hers after dad rebaited.

Watched the kite-boarders for a half hour pulling out. Cool vibe and fun group of folks, made the kids think feel welcome watching and cheering. Daughter says she wants one for Christmas.

All in all all a fun day and enough for fish tacos, but not the bragging board. If you’ve got kids or folks who just want action I recommend the trip, but don’t plan on dropping anchor and taking a nap. It’s full time work, or at least was for me. Fish are cleaned, boat is put away and both kids are asleep already. Good day.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 09-28-2019 at 08:19 PM.