Thread: Float Tube Help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Float Tube Help

To answer a couple of your questions - first always wear a pfd.Dont ever go out in a tube without your pfd on. Don’t just bring a pfd, wear it!

As as far as what to wear under your waders, I hope you got breathable waders and not neoprene waders. Except in the coldest water and weather you will sweat your a$$ off in neoprene. You can wear jeans under it if you want , they won’t hurt your waders but i wouldn’t jeans or any cotton products. When you sweat cotton soaks up and retains the moisture like a sponge. You’ll then be cold and miserable. They make wader pants made of non cotton like polypropylene and other synthetic materials. They wick moisture and keep you warm even when wet. Also do not wear cotton socks. Wear wool or wool blend socks. Maybe also wear a liner sock made from synthetic material.
    As others have said stick to small lakes and ponds and watch the wind closely. If the wind starts causing even a minor chop head for shore. Delay in making the decision to head in can be dangerous.
    As far as what to bring besides fishing equipment get 1 or 2 small waterproof bags like those used for canoeing and kayaking. In those put things you don’t want to get wet like your phone, gps, and so on. Bring a pair of binoculars, you’ll find them handy. Pack an extra shirt or sweater in case you get cold. Bring water to drink and snacks like jerky. Finally the sun is way more intense on higher elevation mountain lakes. Bring and use suntan lotion and be sure to wear a broad brimmed hat.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burninfuel View Post
    Many have heart attacks because the wing blows them from where they want to go.
    keep your head and go with the wind, get on shore and walk back.
    you can overheat if kicking and working hard, young guns can do it and they get totally wet from perspiration.
    My son did Hell Hole at 18 - 19 and I was in my boat, picked him up, but couldn't find him, He was up above the high water line in the trees.
    Wet and shivering, walking to get warm.
    he also caught the biggest fish at 4.5#, against 4 other boats of our fishing crew.
    I hadn't thought of the sudden-cardiac death but at my age and crappy shape, I'd better think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    So I got my float tube....but I have yet to use it.

I have my set of waders, wading boots and fins. I'm assuming I need to bring a PFD on board as well and I've had one of those for past trips.

I do have some questions since I haven't used waders before or a float tube. What do you wear under your waders?! I hear don't wear jeans since those can tear them. Do you wear something like sweat pants?
    I go in a pair of shorts because my fat calves leave no room for anything else.

Anything recommended to bring on a float tube? I'd just be doing small lakes right now for bass and trout, maybe like Rucker or Fuller lake in Tahoe since those are the ones I know people say to go tube in.
    I'm doing the eastern sierra, next month. First stop, Lundy lake near Bridgeport. Then the smaller lakes in the June lake loop and finally, a day or two at Convict lake. These are all heavy-duty trout lakes.

Any "Do's" and "Don'ts" for tubing?
    Be completely aware of the wind, and your own physical limitations in working against it. Chances are, every afternoon you will encounter a wind you cannot handle as a new float-tuber. I'm brand new, myself, and at 65, I can tell you one of my winter projects will be building a trolling motor mount for my float tube. I'm not as young as I used to be and I'm not taking chances. I will fish the west end and let the wind blow me to the east OR, if the camping is on the West end, I'll launch and tie the tube off, 200-300 yards off shore and just cast lures or flies. It the wind is really bad, I'll eat a protein bar for supper. Or a rib if I make and take some.

I also hear people hook up fish finders on these things? How is that even possible??
    Ingenuity, my bony boy, ingenuity, da googl (sic) is your friend.

Thank you so much for the help!
    You're welcome.

If you're brand new, set your expectations very low. My first time out, the wind spun me round and round. VERY frustrating but a solid learning experience, not only in how to use a tube but how NOT to. If it's windy, either have a solid way to overcome the wind, or tie off and just float as far as your rope will let you go.
    Last edited by Old_Man; 07-23-2019 at 01:09 PM.

4. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many have heart attacks because the wing blows them from where they want to go.
    keep your head and go with the wind, get on shore and walk back.
    you can overheat if kicking and working hard, young guns can do it and they get totally wet from perspiration.
    My son did Hell Hole at 18 - 19 and I was in my boat, picked him up, but couldn't find him, He was up above the high water line in the trees.
    Wet and shivering, walking to get warm.
    he also caught the biggest fish at 4.5#, against 4 other boats of our fishing crew.

6. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Float Tube Help

So I got my float tube....but I have yet to use it.

I have my set of waders, wading boots and fins. I'm assuming I need to bring a PFD on board as well and I've had one of those for past trips.

I do have some questions since I haven't used waders before or a float tube. What do you wear under your waders?! I hear don't wear jeans since those can tear them. Do you wear something like sweat pants?

Anything recommended to bring on a float tube? I'd just be doing small lakes right now for bass and trout, maybe like Rucker or Fuller lake in Tahoe since those are the ones I know people say to go tube in.

Any "Do's" and "Don'ts" for tubing?

I also hear people hook up fish finders on these things? How is that even possible??

Thank you so much for the help!