Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: crappie jigs

That's a great way to break it down mark. I will stray away from the grubs for now. Just copped 446 peice crappie kit n 90$ worth of pb. Look me up when trout start getting dumped in quarry maybe we can meet up n you can teach me how to fish these jigs. Usually at quarry I have a few spots we can sight fish for em long as wr are there early

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the red stain is a game changer, but they are all deadly trout lures, and having a varitey is essential sometimes. Usually when I'm trout fishing, especially off of the bank. I will only use crappie jigs. If I'm getting short strikes or not getting bit just change colors until you find one the fish will hit. If the jigs don't work then my last resort is a black leech fly. I've seen grubs for before but in my opinion they are trolling lures. I primarily Fish Amador for the most part but I do well in the mountains on the carson as well. The powerworm with a split shot can be a deadly combo as well.
    Git 'R' Done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperStopper View Post
    The Berkeley power trout worm on a 1/32 jighead was killer for me at Amador. As we all know Amador is very heavily pressured. I would jig it with a twitching action with long pauses under a bobber. The bobber I was usuing had rattles in it which my have helped. This was working when PB, kastmasters, spinners and all esle was failing at the time. I was limiting out on serveral days fishing right next to other guys using all the other stuff. Maribou jigs fishe'd in the same manner also caught me a few. A must was to liberally apply the Berkeley powerbait trout scent on the collar part of the maribou jig.
    This is great I'm gonna run with this. The biggest issue I have had is gin clear water and seeing trout swimming feeding on the surface with lock jaw for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

The Berkeley power trout worm on a 1/32 jighead was killer for me at Amador. As we all know Amador is very heavily pressured. I would jig it with a twitching action with long pauses under a bobber. The bobber I was usuing had rattles in it which my have helped. This was working when PB, kastmasters, spinners and all esle was failing at the time. I was limiting out on serveral days fishing right next to other guys using all the other stuff. Maribou jigs fishe'd in the same manner also caught me a few. A must was to liberally apply the Berkeley powerbait trout scent on the collar part of the maribou jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Markdashark does the red in all the colors help you at all. What about grubs? anyone fish grubs for trout? Been brain storming other options aswell maybe splitshot rig with a powerworm. Idk I'm just trying to find something fresh and new or old and retired to toss at them next season. I feel I would get even heavier stringers if I broke the mold. My biggest last year went 9# on a wooly bugger Carolina rigged and steady retrieved back just messing around showing my buddy my rods casting distance. Obviously if certain things work that's great to use it but how well do these things work in heavy pressure lakes?

Post Thanks / Like

For getting started I would highly recommend this kit from Bass Pro.

Bass Pro Shops® 276-Piece Blood Squirt™ Kit | Bass Pro Shops

This is what I started off using for trout and I have favorite colors, but I have caught fish on every single color. Great product, highly recomend.
    Git 'R' Done

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: crappie jigs

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkiller View Post
    Ok thanks for the quick reply. When you guys mention bobber fishing are you guys running slip bobbers? The reason I'm asking a lot of details is I use the off season to build my arsenal while the gear is discounted. Maybe I'll just drive up to bps in Manteca and try to find a rod reel combo rated for ul tackle. 7'6 sounds about right I use a light action 7' with 6# flouro when I bait fish. 7'6 with 2# test is ultimate finesse. I have had sucess with rebel crawfish cranks in firetiger for big rainbows at quarry. I have a feeling I'm gonna go broke in bps preparing for next season.
    For most rivers you don't really need slip bobbers but for lakes you can set your depths accurately with them. I like the Cabela's bobber stops because they can be used for different sizes of lines and are better for casting.........Jetspray
    Bobber Stops - Per 40 : Cabela's
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for the quick reply. When you guys mention bobber fishing are you guys running slip bobbers? The reason I'm asking a lot of details is I use the off season to build my arsenal while the gear is discounted. Maybe I'll just drive up to bps in Manteca and try to find a rod reel combo rated for ul tackle. 7'6 sounds about right I use a light action 7' with 6# flouro when I bait fish. 7'6 with 2# test is ultimate finesse. I have had sucess with rebel crawfish cranks in firetiger for big rainbows at quarry. I have a feeling I'm gonna go broke in bps preparing for next season.

Post Thanks / Like

The Berkeley power worms are the 3" trout worms. I like to use the lightest line possible. I usually use 4# test.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie jigs are great for trout. White, black, and yellow maribou jigs are my go to colors. Berkeley power worms on a 1/32 oz jighead are also lethal. I usually work them under a bobber with a slow twitching retrieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast