Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your go to "cheap" mono?

All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sgs1 View Post
    I used to go for nothing but the best but to tell you the truth, there isn't one heck of a lot of difference. The differences can be found in magazines and in manufacturers claims but the reality is that only a very few very picky fishermen will ever be able to tell.

I now run Trilene or Izorline and I don't change it unless I notice a problem. So far I haven't but I keep extra fresh reels onboard just in case.
    I've started using Izorline thanks to some recommendations from fellow sniffers and I'm very impressed with it. It's comparable to Maxima at a fraction of the cost. The abrasion resistance is great, I've landed several large salmon on it this season with no issue.
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 49erbassman View Post
    Believe it or not omniflex by zebco is pretty damn good. I used the 8,10 and 12# before. Used 10# for leader material steelie fishing this year with no issues, Landed a 15# one on it. I also use it on my kids bass rods and it holds up really good. They even make a braided line.
    I've used Omniflex for small species of fish and on my daughters pole many times. It's not a bad line and is SUPER cheap.
    Fishing, it's cheaper than therapy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ef9boy88 View Post
    Ya it's funny too because when I bought the izorline it was from bass prowhile I was buying a reel to replace one the mysteriously broke I was looking at a more expensive line and the guy talked me into izorline so I bought a big spool.
    Pretty much the same with me. I was trying to find something that would hold up better for the long run and the Izorline was what they offered. I get it in 1100 yard spools of 12lb which is what I commonly run. For the tests I did, I was running 12 and 8 lb lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya it's funny too because when I bought the izorline it was from bass prowhile I was buying a reel to replace one the mysteriously broke I was looking at a more expensive line and the guy talked me into izorline so I bought a big spool.

Post Thanks / Like

As a sort of lame test, I spooled up two reels with Sunline Natural and two with Izorline XXX Super Co-Polymer. I ran the infamous line twisting wedding rings on swivels and after about an hour of trolling the Sunline was a mess. I tried letting the bare line run behind the boat but it never cleared and even if it did, I wouldn't have trusted it. The Izorline on the other hand was like new without a single twist.

Two of the rod's were identical 8'6" Loomis's with Diawa Lexa 300's and the other two were identical Loomis's 7' U/L downrigger rods with Diawa Steeze's.

Why did the swivels fail to do their job? This wasn't a scientific test by any means but my guess is that the line is too soft which allows it to twist before it stores enough energy to actually turn the swivel.

Based on what happened, I will not continue to use the Sunline Natural for leader material either. I think it would have to be affecting the way the lures are running in the water and I don't think that would be as the manufacturer intended.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Banker916 View Post
    BIGGAME!

Available at Walmart.... Cheap...and works great!
    I fish spectra 90% of the time. However, I topshot my offshore rigs with Berkeley Big Game Mono. It's the best mono I've ever used and perfect for offshore applications. A bit narrower in diameter and ultra-limp, you can flyline a bait with ease. Many tough pelagics have been slayed on Big Game. And indeed, the price is way right. I won't fish any other mono.
    HKSLAYS MULTIMEDIA FISHING

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Izorline for a while now and I like it. Just the other day I was having problems with line twist when running Wedding Rings. I change from 10lb Seguar FC leader material to Izoroline and today I had no problems whatsoever. That say's something for its ability to hold it's shape.

However, I was fishing for LL Steelhead and caught 4 nice fat SMB's instead. Do you think the fact that Izorline was developed for rock fishing has anything to do with that? LOL.. Nah, just kidding but I did catch the smallies.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Izorline haven't had any fouling problems, or problems with it having shape memory, but then again, it has only been a year.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Izorline Platinum

SHM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast