Re: What is your go to "cheap" mono?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman382 View Post
    Trilene big game
    This or trilene XL if needing a lighter test line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    +1 on the Bezerkeley Big Game.
    5 years ago. I wish I would've known I was bound to break off some double digit lings on an epic ling bite while using some 40lb Trilene big game that was bought from walmart. **** must of been old, broke at no more than 10lbs.

I use Ande now. Problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Trilene big game

Post Thanks / Like

pink ande

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ONE View Post
    All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

ande is great stuff- provided you use their tournament label. guaranteed to break at or below it's rated strength and therefore there is great attention to uniformity. their regular stuff is a bit stiff as has been mentioned and thick. no doubt most of the records were made using the tournament grade of ande.

i rate a mono based on it's diameter. big game and izorline are incredibly tough, that's true- but they are thicker and break over their labeled strength. i remember reading somewhere that biggame 12lb broke at over 14lbs of load. the diameter is equal to 15lb of most premium line. so it really wouldn't qualify as a 12lb line, would it?

i'm fast becoming won over by pline as my first choice. it does seem to stand up quite well under all conditions and the diameter of most of their products is equal to or below that of the competition. the price is quite affordable for the majority of their offerings.

considering all the dough i've spent on rods, reels and lures, i have no problem forking over a few bucks extra on line. afterall, it's the only thing that connects me to the fish. there's a lot better areas to budget on first, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass pro shops mono... U can get a giant roll for really cheap and its comparible to trilene xxl which I normally use

Sent from my SCH-R920 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Ande all the way. If the knot isn't perfect I retie. I landed an eighty pound soup fin from the shore with a 25# ande leader and 100# spider wire stealth mainline. Abrasion resistance and shock strength were obviously no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use pline cxx line on all my rigs but last year I moved to this copolymer stuff. Tough as freakn nails! On rocks, open water, rivers, lakes. All over. Works amazing and just freakn tough.

Caught my first keeper lingcod on 10lb test. Fish fought amazingly through rocks and I had no problems landing the fish.

http://bit.ly/1kFtlwz

Pick your line strength...

Post Thanks / Like

Izorline gets my pick if you like Maxima.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ONE View Post
    All these fishing lines and no one talks about Ande...I feel hurt.

I know Ande has a lot of world records to its name and if I'm not mistaken has the most world records, but I've only used it once and had terrible experiences with it. I bought a spool of 12# and it had tons of memory, it was stiff, the line warped a little when tying knots, and it didn't seem to be all that abrasion resistant. Now for big game blue water palagics I don't think much of any of that is an issue because of the giant conventional reels, memory shouldn't be much of a problem, warping when tying knots is propably not an issue because of the use of crimps, and abrasion resistance not much of an issue because all yhe open water verses fishing in a river with rocks, wood, and all the other stuff line rubs against. Just my opinion, but not a great line for me.

Big game is still at the top of my list and then izorline platinum for cheaper lines.

My favorite, which is really not too much more expensive than the cheap stuff and is well worth the money is pline cxx and izorline xxx copolymer

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast