View Poll Results: Would you buy a dungeness crab killing and cleaning device for $20?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 18.75%
  • No

12 75.00%
  • Maybe, if it was less expensive

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help - dungeness crab killing and cleaning device - survey

Flat nose shovel works good also.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who say that cooking live crab whole tastes better. I have a lot of recipes that call for crab meat, but my favorite way is just boiled and cracked, with a little melted butter.
    You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the concept. It would be great if it fit over a five gallon bucket. All the guts and shell fall in, easy cleanup. Since I steam my crab, I prefer this method of cleaning. I can cook more crab with less wait time for the water (beer) to heat up. No more boiling guts for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it catches on. For me all the poop and guts add flavor. Had crab one time that was cleaned halved then boiled and it was like eating crab meat from a can that was boiled. Might be a good product to have if I don't have an ice bath ready and want to pop the top so I don't burn my hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    A two man, one crab operation . Great idea...thumbs up!
    Like I said, that video was of the proof of concept prototype. The final prototype does not require two people.

Post Thanks / Like

A two man, one crab operation . Great idea...thumbs up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_ONE View Post
    Video video video - it just doesn't come through my mind seeing that thing in action.
    Hi All,

Thank you for all of your feedback. Here is a youtube video of the FIRST prototype in action. This prototype is proof of concept only. It is not what the product will look like. For example, we held the crabs legs down while we split it, where in the most recent design that is not necessary. But as you can see, the device splits the crab and removes all of the guts and gills. Sorry for the poor video, it was meant for research purposes only.

Thanks!

IMG 0822 - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

As a chef for the past 14 years, I can attest that your first two comments to be true. Cleaning live crab may rid the guts and but it leaves the delicate meat in the body expose while cooking. This deteriorates the texture and flavor on the meat.

As for freezing, I never freeze crabs that I catch fresh. If I can't eat them all in one meal, then that means I caught too much. Only catch what you can eat. Fresh, live crabs are the best.

Now for your invention. I think it is honestly a nice tool. I can see this being used more on king or snow crabs where the majority of meat is eaten in the legs/claws and have smaller bodies. Dungeness have shorter legs and claws, which still holds a good amount of meat, but the body is where the most delicate and flavorful TREASURE is at. Some know this, but few are willing to go that far to get it. Having to get your hands dirty with guts is just part of eating Dungeness crabs.

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddundee View Post
    Couple of comments.........

1. Cleaning crab raw worst thing you can do for cooking. When cooked with meat exposed, a big percent of the taste and texture is lost to the water and gets way to salty.

2 If you are cleaning crab and then freezing it raw, you might as well eat squid. Once raw crab has been frozen, two things happen. The meat turns icy texture and the taste of crab disapears.

3 There is nothing that beats a fresh cooked crab, thrown into the pot still wiggleing. Mmmm good.

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of comments.........

1. Cleaning crab raw worst thing you can do for cooking. When cooked with meat exposed, a big percent of the taste and texture is lost to the water and gets way to salty.

2 If you are cleaning crab and then freezing it raw, you might as well eat squid. Once raw crab has been frozen, two things happen. The meat turns icy texture and the taste of crab disapears.

3 There is nothing that beats a fresh cooked crab, thrown into the pot still wiggleing. Mmmm good.

Post Thanks / Like

Video video video - it just doesn't come through my mind seeing that thing in action.
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast