Post Thanks / Like

Re: Merced River (sorry, no pics)

Quote Originally Posted by offTopic View Post
    Stayed around El Portal last weekend and only fished for a couple of hours on Saturday evening. Lots of activity just below the surface, and managed one rainbow about 12" on a crippled emerger.

The river is very low, so a stealthy approach would seem prudent.

More importantly, though, the park is beautiful right now, and there are relatively few people there right now. In particular, the 120 side is still open (though the store/gas station are shut down) and there is snow everywhere. If you're a fan of the place, I highly recommend running up there before the next storm hits (for that will surely close 120).
    Really is a beautiful time to be up there. Was there about a month ago during the gov't shutdown (we had a cabin rental in Yosemite West that was still open). Wanted to get some fishing in but with all the roads closed down it just wasn't easily accessible. I haven't done much fishing on the Merced, but it really is a beautiful backdrop for your fishing.

Glad to hear you got some action, thanks for the report!

Post Thanks / Like

Merced River (sorry, no pics)

Stayed around El Portal last weekend and only fished for a couple of hours on Saturday evening. Lots of activity just below the surface, and managed one rainbow about 12" on a crippled emerger.

The river is very low, so a stealthy approach would seem prudent.

More importantly, though, the park is beautiful right now, and there are relatively few people there right now. In particular, the 120 side is still open (though the store/gas station are shut down) and there is snow everywhere. If you're a fan of the place, I highly recommend running up there before the next storm hits (for that will surely close 120).