Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best fillet knife?

little late to the topic here, as a side hobby i happen to make knifes, i am about to delve into my first fillet knife. fillet knife will be diferent then the standard hunting knife i make. the steel of choice if any1 is interested in steels is called cpm 154 its a stainless steel and is easy to sharpen and holds and edge like no tomorrow. ill see if i can manage to post a picture of the knife when im done ill be ordering the steel on thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

I think TCC is right on the money. The best knife is the one that fits your hand. A good friend gave me a global fillet knife for my birthday and it is a dream. However I have about 6 others that fit pretty well.

A chef friend of mine said that the best thing to do is to have a rotation of a few knives when you are breaking down a pile of fish. When one gets dull move on to the next. This is also good for ergonomics as you hand never gets too used to one thing. Then sharpen them all at the end. Saves time, better for your body.

Post Thanks / Like

I USE DEXTER RUSSELL AND THEY THEY WORK GREAT FOR ME..THERE 14 OR 16 INCH BUTCHER KNIFE WILL CUT STEAKS OUT OF A 30 POUND SALMON..THEN THERE 14 FILLET KNIFE TAKES CARE OF THE REST..VERY EASY TO PUT AN EDGE ON THEM...

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my Dexter-Russell knives. MB... i sharpen knives and scissors for fun and profit and my knife machine is a Tru-Hone Professional Sharpener made by Wolff Industries and it costs around $750 but it kicks arse! i have tried every conceivble method of sharpening and this one rocks and you can shave with your blade in just a few moments. not for your novice drag on a rock type but if one is serious, this is the way to go!
    speed is money... how fast do you want to go? tc

Post Thanks / Like

Basically, th best fillet knife is one that fits nice and feels good in your hand. It could be a $13.00 r $100.00 knife. JUst keep in mind that the cheaper the knife the more likely the edge will dull out quickly ( steel or no steel ) and be unusabe. I have a Forschner Fillet knife that I have had for 15 years now. Been sharpened once, use my steel evey time I get it out, hard plastic ergo handle, fits great. I did spend $120 on it, but I was cutting seafood for a living at the time, but well worth it.

If the knife doesn't feel good in your hand your not going to use it, and that is a waste of money.

Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

My Cutco fillet knife is the best fillet knife I've ever owned. My Mom bought it for me when I was about 10 or 11 as an addition to the set she got. It was one of my favorite things in the tackle box until I lost it last year. I was pissed (still am) >:(. I cleaned many fish, cut bait, cut line, etc. with that thing for about well, 18 years, and it BARELY started losing it's edge last year. The thick leather sheathe it came with sucked because that thing would go right through it like it didn't even exist when I'd put it back in. I actually put it right through the sheathe & into my hand on more than one occasion. And now, I can't find this thing ANYWHERE...not even e-Bay. I've heard of those Dexter Russells a few times now & I think that might be my replacement.

OP

Post Thanks / Like

I like the fishsniffer fillet knife I got with the subscription. 8-) I also like my electric knife for cutting threw the bones of the big catfish.

I have around 10+ fillet knifes. I buy some and for some reason people feel the need to give them to me. I would like to know of a good sharpener. Something like

They are the best sharpeners available IMO since it is hard to screw up the edge even if you are drunk or don't know what you are doing.
    That sounds about right ;D

Post Thanks / Like

kok i have sharp kitchen knives too always have some fine cuts on my fingers should have went to culinary school to learn how to use with out cuttin my self lol

Post Thanks / Like

one of my knives is a dexter russell with an 8"blade and 13" overall length. *i paid $8 for it at a flea market. my other good one is a cutco fisherman's solution and has a adjustable blade. *it telescopes from minimum of 5 3/4" to anywheres up to 9". it has a handy-dandy scabard that has a sharpening stone on it and is a 2 section that you can use as a lipper. *just a thought... *knives are great if super sharp but i have discovered that if the blade is too sharp, one boo-boo and you will go right thru the spine to the other side... *and that makes for a very ugly fillet. *tc

Post Thanks / Like

those russle knives are great and just as good as my wusthps and hienkels and a lot less expensive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast