Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacramento catfishin... How do y'all hook'em?

FresnoJack usually has sane, helpful answers. If you don't have time to read all the threads, you can limit your search. But, Beware! Opinions vary widely. I think the widest division in catching catfish is do you want to catch eating sized or BIG catfish? There are a few good threads on baits and riggings and techniques.

Hook sizes can vary from size one (or smaller) to HUGE! A new friend who is taking me to Clearlake in a couple of weeks uses size 7/0 for BIG catfish......

All the "standard" baits will work at one time or another for plain ole catfish. The bigger ones are often caught on live baits like bluegills, jumbo minnows, and crawdads, or on large chunks of fresh cut bait. Sometimes the secret is just to be there at the time they are biting.

No matter how smart or how good we think we are, if they ain't biting, you ain't gonna catch nothing no matter what you do. I have gotten skunked a few times this year. But, those were the times I didn't get to the bank soon enough to catch bluegills or carp for catfish bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments, I did a little research and here are a few of the better posts I found concerning fishing the Sacramento river for the delicious cat fish! Some of those fish in the 2nd post are gorgeous, and i dig the technique outlined in the first post.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/ca...ing-prowl.html

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/ca...fish-bite.html

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/ca...r-catfish.html

Post Thanks / Like

My thought would be to read back a month or so and find posters whose information you find valuable. Then, do a search under the posters' names for earlier posts.

For your Sacramento interest, you can search the term Sacramento and limit the parameters to the Carp & Catfish Board.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_dingo View Post
    Thanks for the advice and two cents guys, it is greatly appreciated.

Rayzcane, did you have any particular posts in mind that you could direct me to? "all of the past posts in this forum" is a little vague. Most of the posts I have found are lacking the detailed info that i outlined. My intent of this post was to get a consolidated thread of good information on sacramento catfishing, as opposed to finding it in 50 different posts. But if youve got a good "sticky" thread or know of one similar to this already, please show me the light.
    Last edited by FresnoJack; 09-12-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    David

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; deport him and you will not have to feed him again.
    Trump 20:16

It's never good enough hrairguitar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want 1-3 lb eating cats then go to Lisbon slough during the day or barge canal at night

Bring a few tubs of chicken liver and a bag of sardines. At barge canal you will catch stripers too

If you are lucky a 5+lber will grab it. If you want bigger cats consistently then you are going to have to go to the lakes (Folsom/motherlode lakes)

Now between end of October is the best time for cats at barge canal. Just pick a spot on the shore ...you really can't go wrong...and watch out for skunks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice and two cents guys, it is greatly appreciated.

Rayzcane, did you have any particular posts in mind that you could direct me to? "all of the past posts in this forum" is a little vague. Most of the posts I have found are lacking the detailed info that i outlined. My intent of this post was to get a consolidated thread of good information on sacramento catfishing, as opposed to finding it in 50 different posts. But if youve got a good "sticky" thread or know of one similar to this already, please show me the light.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned look for areas of pooling or slow moving water like the wing dams along the river. Shallow flats next to deeper holes are good. I prefer shrimp or live bait like bluegill but liver,sardine etc all work

My biggest out of the Sac is only 10# but got a 20# in the feather using live bull frog :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always wishin I was fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

When I joined the 'Sniffer in April 2014, I went through and read all of the
    past posts in this forum. That alone will answer most of your questions.

You could also invite someone who knows how to catch them to ride along
    with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sacramento catfishin... How do y'all hook'em?

If you are fishing a river or slough with current look for a spot where the current would slow down like fallen trees, rock piles, other underwater structure, and even pockets. I like liver and will sometimes add procure to the juices. Mackerel works good too along with sardines and anchovies. And don't forget night crawlers, put one or two on ur hook And that should work. If your In a boat you can drift your bait over the hole and structure to cover more water just make sure to keep your bait close as possible to the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Sacramento catfishin... How do y'all hook'em?

Hey folks, just wanted to get some input on how to fish the sacramento river for catfish, especially around the Sacramento area. Im not looking for your honey hole, just some information on technique from the awesome fishsniffer populace. Bragging stories are absolutely encouraged, just be sure to include the details!

Im looking for info on (but not restricted to) the following:
    What baits kick ass?
    What kind of water is good?
    what constitutes good river catfish habitat?
    What kinds of catfish does one catch?
    how are each species targeted?
    Bank or boat?
    What time of day/year?

I haven't targeted catfish in the past but have heard of some big fish in the river. I have caught a few small ones here and there, fishing deeper holes with sardines and anchovies. All of them were white cats (i think) in the half pound range, nothing special. I love eating good catfish(as does my lady), so im looking to start catching more (and bigger ones).

All info is greatly appreciated!!