Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spin Fishing is Cheating?

The guy that OP ran into seems like a complete douche bag, but man... there sure are a lot of uninformed posters with a lot of animosity toward fly fisherman on this board.

I think there is some confusion between douche bags who happen to fly fish, and fly fisherman in general.
    Last edited by cs3; 01-11-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to have some fun with a fly fisherman....

Wait until you see one of them nymphing with a "strike indicator", and call their strike indicator a "bobber". Do it repeatedly. If they correct you, do it more. Keep doing it.

Course this will only work if the fly fisherman is of the douche school....you will know quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I may or may not know some guys who snapped a guys pole for talking crap like this.

Not that I advocate that kind of behavior, but I bet that guy was more careful who he tried to talk down to after that.

Plus I'm not gonna lie. If I'm there I'm laughing.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost every time I spin fish the East Walker with barbless lures in the winter some fly fisherman tells me the regs only allow fly fishing. They're wrong, but they don't know it. Yet they have no hesitancy getting in my face aggressively without checking the regs. I used to try and explain the regs but they never seem to care. Now i just tell them that the regs allow any barbless, non-scented lure on the East Walker, and that they should call the warden if they disagree. The biggest jerk I ever met, however, was a spin fisherman on the Carson River. And I have also met many great guys fly fishing, including quite a few on the East Walker. So I guess you go fishing, hang with the cool guys that you meet on the water, limit your time with the jerks as much as possible, and fish how you want as long as it's legal. Peace.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    To some process trumps results. If you can't enjoy the outdoors and the fishing experience unless you are wearing $500 of LL Bean duds and waving around a $1,000 + Sage combo then you are lacking understanding at some fundamental level.

CC
    I agree CC however if you have ever seen the show Seasons on a Fly On television you Can see
    those that are on the show are strictly flyers and have plenty of FY money to spend . these same folks travel via plane , stay in the best Lodges and are treated totally 5 star to just be able to fish were a normal Joe blow 40 hr week folks can`t afford. They feel better fishing a fly rod than having to use a spin rod and actually catch something with it. I wonder how Much footage is wasted on them trying to catch fish on that show with a fly rod.I feel fishing is a soul searching way to make life a lot easier than what we really do to make it hard.Either it be with a fly rod or a spin rod.
    Last edited by stefanoflo; 01-08-2015 at 09:33 PM.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To some process trumps results. If you can't enjoy the outdoors and the fishing experience unless you are wearing $500 of LL Bean duds and waving around a $1,000 + Sage combo then you are lacking understanding at some fundamental level.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

7. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No its not cheating and Okies right, its not all fly guys its the elitist snobs that suck!! Its really nothing new and I've bumped into many over the years. Ever seen the movie A River Runs Through It? A few years back on another board, someone asked "why is fly fishing better." The responses were hilarious and inclued such gems as "lure fisherman just chuck something out there and hope a fish latches on." No skill required eh? I fish with fly gear, spinning gear, and conventional gear, use artificial lures, live bait, dead bait, and artificial baits. Even thinking of building a poke pole for fishing the rocks along the coast. In other words, I go with what is working.

9. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbead View Post
    In general fly fishermen suck. Elitist snobs who if they had their way fish hatcheries would be eliminated.
    How true, I lived and fished in Montana for 30 years and every summer the out of state snobs would show up with their fly rods and their fancy fishing clothes (waders and stuff) It was so much fun to catch a grasshopper, put it on a 50 cent hook, and float it passed them with my 20 dollar Zebco spin rod, nail a 8 LB brown and laugh at them. Oh and they don't have planted trout we're I lived, never needed them!!! And I never released a fish unless it was to small... So while I was enjoying a nice trout dinner at camp, they we're eating Tofu sandwich's on gluten free bread. God I hate Liberals........

11. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    I run into all sorts of jerks on the water with a holier than thou attitude.

Spey rod elitists come to mind, but jerks aren't confined to one style of fishing. I just notice the "I'm better than you" attitude is more prevalent with the fly fishing community. It's such a warn out and beaten to death subject within our communities. Every technique specific group hates some other technique specific group and has some BS justification as to why they're better and more "pure" than everyone else. At the end of the day, if it's catching fish, I'll give it a go and have an open mind towards it.

If you browse enough PNW boards like ifish or piscatorial pursuit you just can tell how hostile everyone is about hating some other group of anglers that fish in a different way than them. Bait guys hate fly guys, fly guys hate bait guys but somehow are accepting of centerpinners because they use a gearless reel, hardware guys hate fly guys and everyone hates flossers. Again, it's a worn out and beaten to death subject...shut up and fish whatever way makes YOU happy and produces fish in a legal way. As long as you're not intentionally snagging fish with 3oz jigs, do whatever works for you.
    Oh, I use a 16 oz. jig head to snag flounders in the ocean

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the best anglers I have known use the fishing technique that best fit the circumstance. It would be silly to try to fish a beetle on the bottom in 40 feet of water with a fly rod and silly to fish a #18 midge with a spinning rod. There are no extra points for using a fly rod unless you are anal retentive.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast