Post Thanks / Like

Re: nitro 640 lx steering problem

Quote Originally Posted by GoneSomewhereElse View Post
    It's doubtful that you have any type of power assist on this boat since it is not needed.

Since the problem is noticeable at low and high speeds it's fairly simple to deduce that it's a mechanical issue. You can eliminate things like changing the trim anode position on the lower unit.

With the boat on the trailer, have someone cycle the helm while you look for any obstructions. The engines cables should not become tight at any point either. If there are no obstructions, disconnect the steering link from the engine and manually turn the engine from side to side. If it moves freely you can eliminate the swivel pin. If it doesn't you can try greasing the swivel pin via the zerk fitting. If that doesn't help then check the bottom of the lower engine mounting bracket for corrosion and possibly a missing retaining clip. Depending on the engine you may need to remove the lower cowlings/covers to see this.

If the engine is free turning:

With the link still disconnected cycle the helm. There should be no resistance or sticky points. If there are then there are several things that come into play. Start with the easy to fix things first.

Check the nut on the cable to steering tube connection at the motor bracket. It may have come loose.

Check that the steering tube at the motor bracket is greased properly.

If these items are good then remove the steering cable rod from the steering tube. You remove the steering link from one end and then remove the large nut where it connects to the tube and slide it out.

Cycle the helm with the rod removed. If you have any sticking or clunking sounds you've isolated the problem to either the helm or the cable.

Here's where it becomes a little dicey. Some (most actually) rack and pinion helms come pre fitted with cables. You cannot disconnect the cable at the helm so you have to replace the entire system as a complete unit. That's not to say it can't be done, it's just more difficult.

If you can disconnect the cable at the helm, it's likely that the helm will perform normally because of the lack of tension. However, you should be able to fairly easily slide the cable which would indicate a problem with the helm and not the cable. If the cable doesn't freely move in it's sheath then the problem is likely in the cable. If the cable moves freely then the problem is in the helm.

You are going to heaven for sure my dude. Thank you so much for all the info im going to get on it and let you know how its goes. it might not be this week but im going to get on it. thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fletcher View Post
    heya,
    i'm not sure i can help you with this, but i would need more info on the steering system to even consider trying. what year is the boat?

hello MR. FLETCHER Its a 1999 nitro 640 lx. it says it has a rack and pinion system.

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

^^thats what I was going to say. LOL! But seriously, Steve gives some great advise on that and it's all fairly basic. When I bought my boat the steering was completely froze up. I was able to diagnose it in a short amount of time and start the cable replacement.

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's doubtful that you have any type of power assist on this boat since it is not needed.

Since the problem is noticeable at low and high speeds it's fairly simple to deduce that it's a mechanical issue. You can eliminate things like changing the trim anode position on the lower unit.

With the boat on the trailer, have someone cycle the helm while you look for any obstructions. The engines cables should not become tight at any point either. If there are no obstructions, disconnect the steering link from the engine and manually turn the engine from side to side. If it moves freely you can eliminate the swivel pin. If it doesn't you can try greasing the swivel pin via the zerk fitting. If that doesn't help then check the bottom of the lower engine mounting bracket for corrosion and possibly a missing retaining clip. Depending on the engine you may need to remove the lower cowlings/covers to see this.

If the engine is free turning:

With the link still disconnected cycle the helm. There should be no resistance or sticky points. If there are then there are several things that come into play. Start with the easy to fix things first.

Check the nut on the cable to steering tube connection at the motor bracket. It may have come loose.

Check that the steering tube at the motor bracket is greased properly.

If these items are good then remove the steering cable rod from the steering tube. You remove the steering link from one end and then remove the large nut where it connects to the tube and slide it out.

Cycle the helm with the rod removed. If you have any sticking or clunking sounds you've isolated the problem to either the helm or the cable.

Here's where it becomes a little dicey. Some (most actually) rack and pinion helms come pre fitted with cables. You cannot disconnect the cable at the helm so you have to replace the entire system as a complete unit. That's not to say it can't be done, it's just more difficult.

If you can disconnect the cable at the helm, it's likely that the helm will perform normally because of the lack of tension. However, you should be able to fairly easily slide the cable which would indicate a problem with the helm and not the cable. If the cable doesn't freely move in it's sheath then the problem is likely in the cable. If the cable moves freely then the problem is in the helm.
    Last edited by Line Stretcher; 01-12-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

heya,
    i'm not sure i can help you with this, but i would need more info on the steering system to even consider trying. what year is the boat?

Post Thanks / Like

nitro 640 lx steering problem

Hi everyone, my boat has a steering problem when i turn left going slow it is hard to turn but turning it to the right is easy. As i get up to speed steering to the left is a bit easier and steering to the right is no problem. whats wrong with it? It feels like it has no power steering when i want to go left. help me please