Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do they Plant Steelhead Fingerlings in our trout streams or Resevoirs???

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    so with steelhead being a trout and Rainbow Trout being a trout and if you look at them they are the same, so let me ask, Do they Plant Steelhead Fingerlings in Our Lake and streams or do they Plant rainbow trout Fingerlings in the Ocean??? and can they Plant rainbows as Steelhead???
    I believe rainbows have the option of going to the ocean if they need to. Lower Yuba those fish have been tracked into the bay and also jumping around to the American and Feather rivers. Some steelhead spend 8 months in freshwater when they come in from the ocean. That's why some steelhead look like huge rainbows with lots of color. Another example would be the sea run brown trout in Argentina. Originally they released browns in the 1940's (or something like that) intimthe rivers. It was a great fishery for 5-10 yrs with all the abundant food abd then the Browns started to disappear. The river food supply for the fish was gone. No one knew what happened to the browns. Until they started catching huge Browns atvthe mouth of the river from the sea. The brown trout migrated where there was food and that was the ocean. It in a book. Forget the name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    When's the last time you guided on solano?
    jjb they are talking Sonoma Lake...

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Line Stretcher View Post
    Lake Sonoma was only incidentally planted with diploid Russian River steelhead when the chillers at the hatchery failed. It had a native population that some feel occurred when fish migrated up through the bypass pipe when they were building the dam. Nobody knows for sure how they got in there other than the intentional release. The lake is not considered as being planted. None of the original fish remain as is evidenced by the average size of large Steelhead being 4-5 lbs with most being in the 2lb range.

I guided on the lake and participated in numerous CDFW studies regarding these Steelhead.
    When's the last time you guided on solano?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    They do plant Steelhead in some lakes on rare occasion. A couple of well-known ones would be Lake Sonoma and Thermalito Afterbay. Personally I'd rather fish for them in the river. I don't believe any fingerlings are planted in the ocean, but if you're asking if they plant 'bows in the ocean to try and "convince" them to become Steelhead, the answer is no. The urge to migrate to sea and return to freshwater to spawn is more of a genetic disposition - I don't think you can force it. Does that mean rainbows planted in the river won't migrate to the ocean? Probably not - I'm sure it happens, but there's also a reason there are a decent number of resident Rainbows in many Steelhead rivers. There's also sea-run Cutthroat, so obviously the urge to head to sea has to start with some crazy fish at some point.
    Solano hasn't been planted for at least 6 yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Sonoma was only incidentally planted with diploid Russian River steelhead when the chillers at the hatchery failed. It had a native population that some feel occurred when fish migrated up through the bypass pipe when they were building the dam. Nobody knows for sure how they got in there other than the intentional release. The lake is not considered as being planted. None of the original fish remain as is evidenced by the average size of large Steelhead being 4-5 lbs with most being in the 2lb range.

I guided on the lake and participated in numerous CDFW studies regarding these Steelhead.

Post Thanks / Like

With lakes no, as they need to migrate to the ocean to become steelhead.
    With rivers, well the same but for a different reason- :D -they need to make it to the ocean to become steelies.

Or am I missing something in your question?
    Fungaiolo/Cacciatore/Pescatore

-Lou (Louis)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give my half-educated opinion.

The vast majority of rainbow trout planted in lakes and trout streams come from brood-stock trout raised for several generations in hatcheries.

The vast majority of hatchery steelhead released in anadromous waters come from adult steelhead which came up the same river the prior year.

I can think of an example on the feather they have had excess steelhead smolts they planted in the afterbay which grew into very nice size fish.

I'm sure there examples where I'm wrong, but in general, I believe that's how they do it around here. Others are much more knowledgeable and I expect some will weigh in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    so with steelhead being a trout and Rainbow Trout being a trout and if you look at them they are the same, so let me ask, Do they Plant Steelhead Fingerlings in Our Lake and streams or do they Plant rainbow trout Fingerlings in the Ocean??? and can they Plant rainbows as Steelhead???
    They do plant Steelhead in some lakes on rare occasion. A couple of well-known ones would be Lake Sonoma and Thermalito Afterbay. Personally I'd rather fish for them in the river. I don't believe any fingerlings are planted in the ocean, but if you're asking if they plant 'bows in the ocean to try and "convince" them to become Steelhead, the answer is no. The urge to migrate to sea and return to freshwater to spawn is more of a genetic disposition - I don't think you can force it. Does that mean rainbows planted in the river won't migrate to the ocean? Probably not - I'm sure it happens, but there's also a reason there are a decent number of resident Rainbows in many Steelhead rivers. There's also sea-run Cutthroat, so obviously the urge to head to sea has to start with some crazy fish at some point.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Do they Plant Steelhead Fingerlings in our trout streams or Resevoirs???

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234