Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good fishing lakes to backpack to?

[QUOTE=Smittymatt24;1123993]Thanks for all the info guys, we did just that grabbed a map and did some scouting out. It's looking like we are gonna go to lindsey lake backpack to Culbertson Lake and penner lake. Im excited the snow and ice are melted under 6500ft. The lakes we are heading to are at about 5-6000ft and the fishing should be pretty good I'll let you guys know how we do. Thanks again for all the help.[/QUOTE

Good lakes and worth the hike. Culbertson and Penner have plenty of small rainbows and brookies. Lindsey has decent browns. Feel free to explore "other" lakes along the hike.

PLEASE have some discretion on how you post your results. Some of those lakes simply cannot handle the internet fame. They'll be fished out and trashed out.

Good luck and enjoy. I'm not sure what the conditions are like. You might want to bring snow shoes for an occasional drift.

2. Likes Jeff E, SteelHunter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring some flies and a clear bobber if you don't fly fish and a few castmasters for alpine lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys, we did just that grabbed a map and did some scouting out. It's looking like we are gonna go to lindsey lake backpack to Culbertson Lake and penner lake. Im excited the snow and ice are melted under 6500ft. The lakes we are heading to are at about 5-6000ft and the fishing should be pretty good I'll let you guys know how we do. Thanks again for all the help.

5. Likes Jeff E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A nice spot is Dinkey Lake Wilderness

A lot of snow this year, check with the Ranger Station for accessibility.

http://www.sierrawild.gov/wilderness/dinkey-lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsons View Post
    Were. Lawsuits have ended many of the plants. Now lots our high country lakes are devoid of fish. Places I fished as a kid are empty. The drought made things worse. We will probably have winter kill in some of the high lakes this year. With the lack of plants some places are simply not going to recover. Then take the listing of the Yellow Legged frog and Yosemite toad and some lakes will be intentionally depopulated of fish. That does not mean you can't find good fishing. It only means you are going to need to pick and choose your spots with a little more care than in the past. If you can tolerate cold nights late September and October can provide some of the years best fishing, and not many mosquitoes like you get earlier in the year.
    Plenty of lakes, you just need to look

Post Thanks / Like

The best backpacking trip I ever had was wat back behind Hetch Hetchy. Lake Miwok is were we camped and made day hike trips from there to other lake. Miwok had monster trout 20" but few and far between. Other lakes within a hour or so hike had a lot more fish but were in the 10-12" range. It's a long hike back there but worth it.

Well that was probably 15 years ago and no idea what it is like now but I am pretty sure it is not heavily fished because it is a 10+ mile hike back there

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that's a bummer
    Saw 4 lakes listed as planyed with fingerlings last summer in the alps on dfw website

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Most are planted by mule team or helicopter so respect the resource and enjoy. Part of the fun is finding this stuff
    Were. Lawsuits have ended many of the plants. Now lots our high country lakes are devoid of fish. Places I fished as a kid are empty. The drought made things worse. We will probably have winter kill in some of the high lakes this year. With the lack of plants some places are simply not going to recover. Then take the listing of the Yellow Legged frog and Yosemite toad and some lakes will be intentionally depopulated of fish. That does not mean you can't find good fishing. It only means you are going to need to pick and choose your spots with a little more care than in the past. If you can tolerate cold nights late September and October can provide some of the years best fishing, and not many mosquitoes like you get earlier in the year.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a map
    Draw a line at 6000 feet
    Draw another line 5 miles from any road
    Then look for other lakes nearby
    Write down the name of all the lakes the fit your criteria.
    Check fish and game for any special regulations
    Punch coordinates of lake into trail map
    Walk to lake
    Observe/catch trout
    Report back, and welcome to the fish sniffer.
    Personally, I'd take a peekaboo in modoc county and trinity alps by the coast.
    For what it's worth, most lakes you have to backpack too offer superb fishing because the bucket brigade can't back their car up to them. Some back country creeks have the prettiest little trout you be ever seen. Most are planted by mule team or helicopter so respect the resource and enjoy. Part of the fun is finding this stuff
    Last edited by QueenAnnesRevenge; 06-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.

12. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thanks I'll definitatly look into hwy 80/50/104/108. I am originally from Amador county, I love fishing up 88 caples,silver, bear, if it was thawed I'd park at woods and fish winnimucca. Thanks again for the info I'll definitely check those out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast