Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flossing now illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fletcher View Post
    just to clarify this for myself, when you use the term flossing are you referring to bead fishing? if so, do you consider that as solely a snagging technique? I wonder if there might be more to it than that, judging by the numbers of fish caught that way that are mouth hooked- and with a single hook at that. is it possible the salmon are reacting in some other way to the egg-like bead?

i'm not defending snagging, I just remember as a kid trying to snag fish I could see with a treble hook and finding that wasn't all that easy to do. I dunno, it seems there may be a little more to it than the line running into a salmons mouth and sticking a single hook in it, to boot. perhaps some instinctive "protect the egg" impulse, or ??

any thoughts on this?
    Fletcher,
    By the time you got to this thread, the original article was taken down. I've attached it below so you can see how the author used the term "flossing". I hope we don't see any future articles from this author...

Post Thanks / Like

just to clarify this for myself, when you use the term flossing are you referring to bead fishing? if so, do you consider that as solely a snagging technique? I wonder if there might be more to it than that, judging by the numbers of fish caught that way that are mouth hooked- and with a single hook at that. is it possible the salmon are reacting in some other way to the egg-like bead?

i'm not defending snagging, I just remember as a kid trying to snag fish I could see with a treble hook and finding that wasn't all that easy to do. I dunno, it seems there may be a little more to it than the line running into a salmons mouth and sticking a single hook in it, to boot. perhaps some instinctive "protect the egg" impulse, or ??

any thoughts on this?
    By the time you got to this thread, the article was taken down. I've attached the article below so you can read the context of what the author meant by "flossing". I hope we never see another article from this author again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    I agree. There's a certain vibe put off on the river on a dreary, rainy and cold early November morning, standing in the drift hearing "fish on coming down" and watching people from all walks of life enjoying the common interest of being outside in the elements getting bent on salmon. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as foul hooked fish are released. I've caught plenty of salmon throwing and trolling hardware. Drifting beads is just an all around fun way to spend a fall day with some friends.
    thanks dsa, I appreciate that. (you get it completely!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Truth be told, when it comes to Steelies and Trout the pegged bead makes a huge difference. They inhale those things.
    I wont deny it, but when i see guys from WA and OR running pegged 10/12mm beads for salmon... it's another story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IronClad View Post
    One of my favorites is people that fish a pegged bead under the guise of " it's to reduce fish mortality, they are totally eating it 100%" ya ok. It's not different.
    Truth be told, when it comes to Steelies and Trout the pegged bead makes a huge difference. They inhale those things.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites is people that fish a pegged bead under the guise of " it's to reduce fish mortality, they are totally eating it 100%" ya ok. It's not different.

Post Thanks / Like

reasonable enough.

I may take some heat for this, but I enjoy the hell outta fishing beads on the American. judging from the numbers, i'd say im in good company there. everyone I fish with is by the book when it comes to releasing foul hooked fish and only keeping their limits. it certainly isn't a guaranteed way to bank a salmon.

okay, bring it on. call me a poacher or snagger or whatever. I can handle it.
    I agree. There's a certain vibe put off on the river on a dreary, rainy and cold early November morning, standing in the drift hearing "fish on coming down" and watching people from all walks of life enjoying the common interest of being outside in the elements getting bent on salmon. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as foul hooked fish are released. I've caught plenty of salmon throwing and trolling hardware. Drifting beads is just an all around fun way to spend a fall day with some friends.

8. Likes Mr.Fletcher, Plug-n-Jug, Jimmy_M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to make your head spin, think about the Sockeye fishery in AK and the fact that many who claim disdain for bead fishing Salmon in the lower 48 participate willingly in the Sockeye "Kenai flip" method in AK. Somewhere on the plane between Seattle and Anchorage their ethics do a complete 180.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Impossible to prove one way or the other...that's why it remains a legal method.
    reasonable enough.

I may take some heat for this, but I enjoy the hell outta fishing beads on the American. judging from the numbers, i'd say im in good company there. everyone I fish with is by the book when it comes to releasing foul hooked fish and only keeping their limits. it certainly isn't a guaranteed way to bank a salmon.

okay, bring it on. call me a poacher or snagger or whatever. I can handle it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbead View Post
    if that is the case then why is it illegal in Washington and Oregon? If you are using a 10' leader you are flossing and the leader length alone proves your intent.
    What's illegal in WA and OR? Snagging? Illegal in CA too.

Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast