Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HWY 88/89 lake action?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Fish View Post
    I watch the DFG stocking calendar and in Mono County they plant almost EVERY body of water almost EVERY week during fishing season.
    In our area we get the mini-trout and not very often.
    Sad
    Lovs, thanks for your reply. I wish that DFW would read these first hand experiences. Interestingly, I just received an e-mail from CDFW titled, Angler Update and tried to open the referenced links, Fishing Planting Schedule, it would not open, it seems that they have top to bottom failure over there. Go figure. Whalonem

2. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    California stocks more waters and more fish in Inyo and Mono counties than any other area in the state yet the quality of fish stocked doesn't suffer. I do believe that the American Hatchery is screwed up.

CC

CC
    I watch the DFG stocking calendar and in Mono County they plant almost EVERY body of water almost EVERY week during fishing season.
    In our area we get the mini-trout and not very often.
    Sad

4. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

California stocks more waters and more fish in Inyo and Mono counties than any other area in the state yet the quality of fish stocked doesn't suffer. I do believe that the American Hatchery is screwed up.

CC

CC
    CC, your dead on, for "trout" close the dam thing and move that portion of the operation to a higher elevation with colder water. When the cold pool of Folsom lake warms up in these drought years and the Nimbus facility does not have the chilling equipment to keep the water temp down, guess what happens, fish die, brood stock are lost and millions of $ are wasted. Like you said CC, "American river hatchery is screwed up" and our fishing license keep going up. Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

I wish those Alper trout were still roaming around there.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

7. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    I think they're smaller for a few reasons. The first being that I believe that American River hatchery has had at least two die offs in the last 5 years. I also believe that hatchery is responsible fo stocking a larger number of waters. Which in return means they need to have me fish.

CC

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I don't understand. The Eastern Sierra waters of Inyo and Mono Counties are stocked from the Fish Springs Hatchery near Big Pine and the Hot Creek Hatchery in Long Valley. These stockers are easily twice the weight of those from American/Nimbus Hatchery. Where did they get the extra food?

CC
    I think they're smaller for a few reasons. The first being that I believe that American River hatchery has had at least two die offs in the last 5 years. I also believe that hatchery is responsible fo stocking a larger number of waters. Which in return means they need to have me fish.

Post Thanks / Like

CC, they maybe a completely different fish than those from Nimbus. Also, if they are Triploids they put on weight twice as fast as regular hatchery grown rainbows. In addition the water temp in the eastern Sierras hatcheries are a lot colder and tend to produce higher quality fish. I'm not to sure about the Food and its cost, however, the person I spoke with from Nimbus indicated that their food budget could not afford higher quality food which would put on weight much faster. Whalonem

11. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I don't understand. The Eastern Sierra waters of Inyo and Mono Counties are stocked from the Fish Springs Hatchery near Big Pine and the Hot Creek Hatchery in Long Valley. These stockers are easily twice the weight of those from American/Nimbus Hatchery. Where did they get the extra food?

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Fish and Wildlife website has a planting plan for the state on-line. They have fingerlings browns going into a limited number of lakes, but Silver, Caples, Sly Park and New Melonis are on it.

Believe it, believe it's a hoax, believe they won't last the winter, at least it a positive turn.
    I will believe this when I start catching them again!!!!! The reason they plant fingerlings is because they don't have sufficient funds to purchase quality food in the hatchery. Got this directly from the Nimbus Staff. Also, if the fingerlings are smaller than the chubs guess who gets devoured first. Another smart move on DFW part.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish and Wildlife website has a planting plan for the state on-line. They have fingerlings browns going into a limited number of lakes, but Silver, Caples, Sly Park and New Melonis are on it.

Believe it, believe it's a hoax, believe they won't last the winter, at least it a positive turn.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast