Post Thanks / Like

Re: BDC reticle good idea or bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Assume by moa(minute of angle) your referring to max point blank range where your bullet doesn't raise or drop <4".

If you want to use that bdc reticle, go shoot your ammo through your chronograph and build your range card.
    My boss shoots a leupold boone and crocket out to 535 on deer size game very very effectively.

I still shoot max point blank out to 345yards but have a leupold cds dial out to 800 yards. I don't shoot at game that far, but I do whack steel out there.
    I've found, the better long range shot I become the closer I end up shooting deer and antelope haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Yeh I have a cheat sheet already. One of the other factors is of course on one hunt I might be at sea level and a month later at 8000 ft. I have to have more than just one set of calculations. The card gets a little busy and for right now the info taped on the stock is based on 5000 ft. We are trying to get on a range where we can shoot past 500 to test some of the info. What I was referring to by saying the MOA guys is those that only have adjustable turrets custom built for their exact load or those that know the exact trajectory and dial the minutes of angle needed to hold dead on. Of course elevation does make a difference at really long ranges.

My point that I may not have made is you cannot just buy the scope and gun and assume your 308 with 150 gr bullets match any aiming points in the scope at longer ranges. You really need to know what the MOA is on those 4-5 aiming reticles and how that translates to the bullet drop for your load. If I change loads then I have to do the math again.
    As far as the point blank sight in I know how it works but I am not comfortable with it for a couple of reasons but that is a personal preference.
    My long range sight in has always been 200 yards and my shorter range sight in is 150. The 150 is a compromise for someone who will not shoot past 200 yards ever. I can have them hold on a target and not be more than 2" high or low for any distances they are willing to shoot. Something Jack Atcheson used to recommend for clients hunting deer. Yes I am old.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BDC reticle good idea or bad idea?

Assume by moa(minute of angle) your referring to max point blank range where your bullet doesn't raise or drop <4".

If you want to use that bdc reticle, go shoot your ammo through your chronograph and build your range card.
    My boss shoots a leupold boone and crocket out to 535 on deer size game very very effectively.

I still shoot max point blank out to 345yards but have a leupold cds dial out to 800 yards. I don't shoot at game that far, but I do whack steel out there.
    I've found, the better long range shot I become the closer I end up shooting deer and antelope haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

BDC reticle good idea or bad idea?

I am sure there are guys on here who are strictly MOA guys when it comes to shooting past the point of having to compensate for bullet drop.
    For some guns that could be 250 yards (on deer sized game) for others they can hold dead center to 350 and never be more than 3 inches high or low of their aiming point. Yes those are just an example of some common calibers. I recently purchased a new Leupold that has a BDC reticle. I have not needed the multiple aiming points yet since the two most recent rifle deer harvested were at 210 yards and 125 yards. No need to worry about much at those ranges. The books give you a sample of what those aiming points represent and I can tell you that your gun most likely doesn't match any of those aiming points past 300 yards. With my gun sighted in at 200 the numbers work out something like this 200, 315 (2.19 moa), 430 (4.8 moa) and 535 (7.82 moa) These are rounded a little. All of these numbers are based on maximum magnification. Anything less than maximum magnification the moa numbers are way different. That is of course making a few assumptions. First I chose 5000 ft elevation and 50 degrees. I also only lowered the factory ammo by 100 fps and in my experience the ammo is almost always a little slower than the box claims. I have not run my ammo over a chronograph yet. All of those factors make a huge difference and unless you are going to carry a ballistics calculator with you then you will have to trust someone's data. Basically the BDC reticles are only good if you spend the time to figure everything out and yes you have to get back to using MOA calcs to get you there. I just don't like have a scope turret that is easily moved while I am hunting so I chose not to go with an MOA adjustable scope.
    If you are going to think about shots beyond your dead on hold then you need to do some research on your specific load and caliber. Easy to do online anymore since a lot of manufactures have calculators on their websites.

I know if I am going to all that trouble just get a custom dial made and adjust based on MOA. If I was a target shooter I would but I think if I understand the BDC reticle system in my scope then it is OK for me on game to as far as I am willing to shoot. I have never even contemplated a shot beyond 500 and never actually shot beyond 450.

OK you MOA target shooters can now tell me I am full of carp.
    Last edited by Grncrestliner; 08-06-2017 at 01:46 PM.