Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning salmon before you get home

Quote Originally Posted by J_W View Post
    They are strays because they are not returning to their stream of origin, that is the definition of a stray. Once they are in the Sac/SJ system they will not successfully spawn so we should be able to retain them and fillet our fish on the river. Again making the no-fillet reg pointless. There are no coho left in the Gualala system, they have been gone for decades. I fish that system regularly and know a biologist that studied the anadromous runs in that system for a decade from 2000-2010, cohos have probably been gone from that system for 30 years. The last time there was a coho fishery there it was from hatchery raised fish that were trucked into the system as smolts.

J W
    Hmmmm I'd have to disagree about no cohos running into the gualala. I have a buddy who fishes it and has hooked into a few coho there the last few years. There aren't huge numbers there but there are a few. There are also coho running in streams south of Half moon bay. Point is they're around and endangered. Because they go to other river systems you deem uninhabitable for coho doesn't mean they can't thrive there. Endangered species stay endangered where ever they show up in the state.
    Last edited by jjb; 09-12-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They are strays because they are not returning to their stream of origin, that is the definition of a stray. Once they are in the Sac/SJ system they will not successfully spawn so we should be able to retain them and fillet our fish on the river. Again making the no-fillet reg pointless. There are no coho left in the Gualala system, they have been gone for decades. I fish that system regularly and know a biologist that studied the anadromous runs in that system for a decade from 2000-2010, cohos have probably been gone from that system for 30 years. The last time there was a coho fishery there it was from hatchery raised fish that were trucked into the system as smolts.

J W

3. Likes reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are several coastal rivers in Northern California that have coho in them. All of the ones in the Klamath Trinity system are hatchery raised. I can think of 2 self sustaining wild runs, Eel System, Redwood Creek, there may be others. Over the last two three decades a half dozen small coastal streams have had their coho runs eliminated due to various reasons. Once they stray from where ever they stray from into the Sacramento/San Joaquin system they are destined to die without spawning. There spawning grounds are blocked by dams. (I know there are biologists or other wiser folks than me on this forum, please correct me if I'm wrong.) That is why we should just be able to keep coho once in the Sac/SJ system and get rid of this useless pain in the ass regulation.

J W
    The Russian, Gualala, coastal streams around half moon bay, etc. have coho runs. Which are very close to the mouth of the bay. So chances are any caught in the valley are from those runs and are threatened. They aren't strays if they actually are genetically coho that return to CA. Again, there used to be coho in all valley rivers. How could you call them strays if historically that's their home?

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are several coastal rivers in Northern California that have coho in them. All of the ones in the Klamath Trinity system are hatchery raised. I can think of 2 self sustaining wild runs, Eel System, Redwood Creek, there may be others. Over the last two three decades a half dozen small coastal streams have had their coho runs eliminated due to various reasons. Once they stray from where ever they stray from into the Sacramento/San Joaquin system they are destined to die without spawning. There spawning grounds are blocked by dams. (I know there are biologists or other wiser folks than me on this forum, please correct me if I'm wrong.) That is why we should just be able to keep coho once in the Sac/SJ system and get rid of this useless pain in the ass regulation.

J W
    Again, how would you prove it wasn't an esa listed coastal coho?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

J W

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish4u View Post
    IMO they are better fighters than the kings.
    True dat. I remember back when we had the three fish limit, my brother and I had a 20 man charter, every last one of them drunk, high and hurling. We got into a school of silvers and basically tossed 60 in the box in the 10-15 lb range while they were passed out. They fought like 20+ lb kings. My arms were like noodles afterward.

The 14 pounder we kicked back last week hit the rod like the proverbial ton of bricks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Doesn't your statement itself support the regulation? If you have not caught or heard of any caught, it stands to reason it is because the population is so small and needs protective regulations. Just as we get the occasional reports of odd ball salmon species being caught in the river, we also get the occasional coho. This years ocean season has brought in more reports of cohos than I have seen in several previous years so I would expect we will see a few more on local rivers as the season progresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I completely understand that the coho populations in the Sacramento river system need protection if they exist. My question was do they really exist in the system? If they do exist why don't the hatcheries capture them and raise them as they do the kings? I haven't seen any reports from F&G as to the numbers of cohos they capture in any recent years. We landed a lot of salmon the past couple of years and none of them were cohos. I would love for the cohos to make a come back. IMO they are better fighters than the kings.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honksrworkn View Post
    I guess you guys forget that Oroville lake supports a large stock of landlock Coho , some of which manage to get washed down and into the feather , in fact there is a special reg pertaining to Cohos caught in the afterbay vs the actual River ..
    Back in the late 90s my buddies and I caught a bunch of Silvers in the Feather .. One day we caught and released 5 or 6 up to 14lbs .... Coulda been lost but more than likely they originated from lake Oroville ... The Trinity has always had lots of Coho , Kings and Steelhead , its about the only river I know of in CA that sustains a Coho run .... Sometimes you'd catch and release nothing but Cohos all day ... IMO they fight better than a King ....they love pink ....
    Oroville hasn't had coho for 3 years. So they're likely all dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honksrworkn View Post
    I guess you guys forget that Oroville lake supports a large stock of landlock Coho , some of which manage to get washed down and into the feather , in fact there is a special reg pertaining to Cohos caught in the afterbay vs the actual River ..
    Back in the late 90s my buddies and I caught a bunch of Silvers in the Feather .. One day we caught and released 5 or 6 up to 14lbs .... Coulda been lost but more than likely they originated from lake Oroville ... The Trinity has always had lots of Coho , Kings and Steelhead , its about the only river I know of in CA that sustains a Coho run .... Sometimes you'd catch and release nothing but Cohos all day ... IMO they fight better than a King ....they love pink ....
    Actually that's incorrect. They stopped stocking coho in oroville because they didn't want the Washington strain coho to breed with the California endangered coho. The Russian has a coho run and many coastal streams and creeks have small coho runs in California.
    Last edited by jjb; 08-31-2017 at 08:43 PM.

STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast