Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LCTs from the tube

Good job getting some brookies. That Lake can be finicky this time of year it's good one day and not the next.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried this lake today, Hiked in through Big Meadow and it took about an hour. Ran in to a few fishers who didn't have any luck and I gotta say, my luck was the same. Had a few hits on a thomas buoyant, but I feel they may have been really small.

I was hunting for LCT since I've never caught any, so maybe I'll have to try this lake again or find somewhere else where the fishing may be better. It was also very windy today when I got there.

I saw people using Flies, Powerbait and Spinners, no one producing anything.

I did get some small brooks in the meadow on the way out. The small streams are full with Brooks and possibly LCT? There were two species of fish in there, the other definitely didn't look like rainbows.
    Last edited by yell0wshirt; 08-12-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this from last year;

ed Lake Wildlife Area

NOTICE. DANGER FROM ALGAE TOXINS IN THE LAKE CAN HARM PEOPLE AND KILL ANIMALS.
    STAY OUT OF THE WATER UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
    DO NOT: touch scum in water or on shore; let pets or other animals drink or go into the water or near the scum; eat fish or shellfish from water; use this water for drinking or cooking. Boiling or filtering will not make the water safe. For more information click the Toxic Algae Media Release (PDF).

Description

Red Lake Wildlife Area is a total of 860 acres. The vegetation surrounding Red Lake is characteristic of red-fir and lodgepole-fir forest. Open slopes are dominated by sagebrush with bitterbrush and serviceberry. Forestdale Creek and the other drainages around Red Lake are lined with willows and aspen groves. Common wildlife species include deer, coyote, jackrabbit, quail, flicker, warblers, red-tailed hawk, golden eagle, golden-mantled ground squirrel, marmot, and beaver. Fish species in Red Lake consist of brook trout and suckers; Forestdale Creek contains rainbow and brook trout.
    For more information, call the North Central Region Rancho Cordova office at (916) 358-2900.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/Places-to-Visit/Red-Lake-WA

Last edited by burninfuel; 08-03-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: more

Post Thanks / Like

Algae could be from salting hwy 88 more than other years ?? or a spill on hwy ??

Post Thanks / Like

Fish and Wildlife provisional planting plan says Scott’s Lake was planted last July with subcatchable Cutthroat, and is scheduled for more this September.

it also say Dardanelles wasn’t planted last year or planned for this year. The information warns it’s just the annual plan and may or may not go that way, but I’m guessing the prior year information is correct.

Seems like I spend more time reading about these places than being there, but it is interesting. Yep, I need to get out more.

6. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

8/3/2019 9:21am

All the lakes in my area have trout except Scotts lake that had a winter kill and to my knowledge
    is still fish free. Too bad since it did have 22" Brookies in it when I was 16 years old. (1960)

Last visit to it showed me water snakes and water skater bugs.

Most of the lakes are now cut or bows with a few having brookies.
    Best Handicap lake is either Red or Blue if drivable and in good water quality.
    Seems today we are getting more "Crud" in the lake, for some odd reasons........

They are suckers for flys.........
    but can be had with either metal or bait.

Now that I am getting older......
    the trail hub on the road above my cabin cuts out 500 feet of elevation, making the hike
    into these lakes a lot easier for us old Pharts. They also have several nice bathrooms if
    you need to fix things before the long hike.

Hiking and biking are a big thing in this area, all the clean air and views.
    Don't forget your camera.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 08-04-2019 at 05:53 PM.

8. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's been almost two years since this thread was posted.

Does anyone know if there are fish in the lake now?
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    EB's taste good......... Obviously, the lake is not being managed with flavor in mind..............

Do you know how 'they' killed off the Brook Trout? Are we talking Retenone?
    DFG killed off all the Brooks in Gold lake a few years ago, for some endangered frog...they used gill nets at that time. That is a hike in only lake also.
    Captain of the Little Liberator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I have a Summer cabin 5.8 miles from that lake.

Though the "Cuts" are larger...........
    I still enjoyed the flavor of the 14" fat Brookies that were in that lake, that they killed off.

Round lake has also gone through several types of trout, to get it to work out.
    Cuts and Bows are fun and eat pretty well but I just like the taste of a wild EB, unless by chance
    you are catching some "Gold".

Today (2019) you don't know what you will be catching out of these lakes.
    They even tried dumping German Browns in these waters, for some crazy reason?

Tight lines.
    EB's taste good......... Obviously, the lake is not being managed with flavor in mind..............

Do you know how 'they' killed off the Brook Trout? Are we talking Retenone?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Summer cabin 5.8 miles from that lake.

Though the "Cuts" are larger...........
    I still enjoyed the flavor of the 14" fat Brookies that were in that lake, that they killed off.

Round lake has also gone through several types of trout, to get it to work out.
    Cuts and Bows are fun and eat pretty well but I just like the taste of a wild EB, unless by chance
    you are catching some "Gold".

Today (2019) you don't know what you will be catching out of these lakes.
    They even tried dumping German Browns in these waters, for some crazy reason?

Tight lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast