Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Happened? Rod Broke!

Ultra light graphite rods were born to break. By definition, sensitivity is stiffness divided by weight. Graphite is light and stiff, and stiff is brittle / unforgiving. No offense to those who don't clip the rod tip with retrieved baits, swivels, ding them on rock, door hinges or have them get hot. Regardless how careful you are, they do get dinged up, even if just in the shipping and sales process. Those small irregularities cause stress concentration, and it doesn't take much to snap when the tolerances are so small. Think the old press down on a soda can, then dent one side trick, only with stuff that's much smaller and more brittle.

Sure is frustrating to have a nice rod break, and I'm glad they replaced it. Stories like those go a long ways towards customer loyalty, which a company should strive for. I just imagine all the stories and messes they get back and have to chuckle.

Glad all worked out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    Update: I sent the broken HMG rod to Fenwick about a month ago and received an email a few days ago stating they would replace the rod. I did have to resend in my proof of purchase. They stated they would not have my replacement rod in stock until May 1st and offered me any other model of rod from the HMG series. I chose the 7'6 HMG 2pc model in light action and stated I would be willing to wait. This rod would still be good for casting light lures for trout and I prefer a 2pc since I pack my rods in a rod tube. I already have shorter 5'6 and 6' ultralight rods for creek or kayak fishing.

Looking forward to my new light action HMG rod, it should be a great backup rod to my Okuma 8ft Guide Select Trout rod.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

right on! good to hear they still have a customer first attitude. that's getting harder and harder to find these days. their rods are still a good value, even more so with customer service like that. thanks for the update mtn!
    Last edited by Mr.Fletcher; 04-08-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I sent the broken HMG rod to Fenwick about a month ago and received an email a few days ago stating they would replace the rod. I did have to resend in my proof of purchase. They stated they would not have my replacement rod in stock until May 1st and offered me any other model of rod from the HMG series. I chose the 7'6 HMG 2pc model in light action and stated I would be willing to wait. This rod would still be good for casting light lures for trout and I prefer a 2pc since I pack my rods in a rod tube. I already have shorter 5'6 and 6' ultralight rods for creek or kayak fishing.

Looking forward to my new light action HMG rod, it should be a great backup rod to my Okuma 8ft Guide Select Trout rod.

4. Likes RideNfish, MKE, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jetspray,

I was giving enough slack so the SPro swivel was clear of the tip and guides. Those SPros can damage the guide insert if casting them thru the guides. The line I was using was giving me some twist issues, I think maybe it wrapped around the tip just as I was raising the rod back to cast and I did not see it. I remember the tip was missing right after the mishap.

I had issues with this line the week before and had respooled and applied line conditioner. Again it gave me issues. Anyhow I ordered some new 6lb for this setup in a different brand.

I think you're probably right. I had a fenwick break from line wrapped around the tip. saw it mid way thru the cast, but it was too late. it too was an ultralite. fenwick was great about it. no questions asked, sent a newer model to replace it, no charge.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jetspray,

I was giving enough slack so the SPro swivel was clear of the tip and guides. Those SPros can damage the guide insert if casting them thru the guides. The line I was using was giving me some twist issues, I think maybe it wrapped around the tip just as I was raising the rod back to cast and I did not see it. I remember the tip was missing right after the mishap.

I had issues with this line the week before and had respooled and applied line conditioner. Again it gave me issues. Anyhow I ordered some new 6lb for this setup in a different brand.
    I use mostly braided line, I caught a 5 lb'er on 8 lb Nanofil (which is about 2lb size normal line) with no problem. My main problem is the smaller the Spro's are the more I have trouble seeing them or controlling the eyelet because it spins so easily. My glasses are just good for so much. I have a pair of Dial Vision glasses, maybe I will stick them in my gear box.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

8. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    In the future my only suggestion is not to let the swivel go through your eyelets. Those Spro's are very strong and as your line goes out in a supersonic type speed it is like shooting a 22 at your eyelet. I'm just sayin'..........Jetspray
    Jetspray,

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Your response prompted me to call Fenwick, they will replace the rod!

Glad to hear it! They used to be located in Huntington Beach and I lived down the street. Not that I broke a bunch of rods but when I did, I’d just walk to their warranty door and they would hand me a new one. If discontinued, you get the next higher replacement model. I miss my old Iron Feather which I gave to a friend in Hawaii when I moved to the Bay Area....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Your response prompted me to call Fenwick, they will replace the rod!
    In the future my only suggestion is not to let the swivel go through your eyelets. Those Spro's are very strong and as your line goes out in a supersonic type speed it is like shooting a 22 at your eyelet. I'm just sayin'..........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

14. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kimochou View Post
    My experience with Fenwick’s warranty has always been excellent. Send it in.

16. Likes Jetspray, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience with Fenwick’s warranty has always been excellent. Send it in.

18. Likes Jetspray, MtnFisher liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast