STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Storing Spawn Sacs

Pautske's Fire Cure is a really good simple egg cure that will keep for as long as you like either frozen or refrigerated. I tie a bunch of Spawn sacs before the season and use them through out , the left overs are frozen and re thawed when I need them the next yr ... This cure will leave them sitting in a soup to keep them full of color and sent , I flip the jar once a week so they all keep fresh .... I prefer using the sacs vs plain roe..... it stays on the hook longer .....especially when there are Pike minnows around ...
    Not affiliated with Fire Cure , but it's a great cure and it's just about the easiest cure I have ever used .... just follow the instructions or watch the YouTube video .... it definitely puts fish on the line ...

Post Thanks / Like

actually what I have tried and works since, i really don`t bring home salmon and I really won`t pay or the roe Online . I will get a few Jars of Salmon eggs and put them in the netting and you have Roe bags. It pretty much is the same thing , the eggs are cured and all you have to do is make the bags and the eggs will last a while in the jar , so make a few up before you go out and tear it up!!!!I have been tempting to try the new eggs from Pautzke ,,,,Called Fire Balls..they should look real good in bags .

www.fishusa.com/product/Pautzke-Fire-Balls

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome, thanks gents. I need to watch a few of those videos on the curing process then... all new to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Cured them,and freeze them ,in jars. Keep it simple.

Post Thanks / Like

I know some that use Mineral oil . . and some just put in a container and store in the fridge . I take it the eggs are already cured right???. Im thinking they at least should be cured. raw uncured eggs will just pop when you put them on the hook so they should are cured . or they are are no better than Chum!. Plenty of videos on Curing eegs on You Tube as well.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Storing Spawn Sacs

What's the best way to store premade spawn sacs and how do you preserve yours? Do they have a typical "shelf life"? I assume it is markedly different between Roe & artificial eggs. Thanks!