Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mokelumne River from the bank

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    More thinking this out.................. Too bad there are no photographs (aerial photographs) of the entire delta (all the rivers that converge to create the delta) prior to all the hydraulic mining activity.

The folks at the Moke hatchery are doing the best they can with what little there is to work with...........

Yes the Moke hatchery is doing a good job, I posted a brief video below....But the Delta was once a vast marsh before the miners got there, of course no aerial photos. Here's some other info.

1. The Delta encompasses 738,000 acres.

It stretches inland from Antioch to Stockton, and from Sacramento and West Sacramento at its northernmost point down to Tracy at its southernmost point.

2. Five rivers flow into the Delta, accounting for nearly half of the snowmelt and runoff of the entire state. The most noted are the San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers. The other three are the Mokelumne, Cosumnes, and Calaveras rivers.

Because the Delta is connected to San Francisco Bay, and thus to the ocean, it is affected by tidal action. Although the Delta, for the most part, remains freshwater, this tidal action affects the depth of the waterways. There are approximately two high tides and two low tides every day. Photo: Courtesy USGS

3. Once a vast marsh, the Delta began changing rapidly when unsuccessful miners turned to farming and began draining and reclaiming the land in the mid 1800s.

They were encouraged by federal swampland reclamation laws and the Delta's rich, fertile peat soil. They built levees, creating islands of productive farms. The reclamation of the marshy Delta progressed steadily for many decades, and was pretty much complete by the 1930s. Photo: Public domain/WikiMedia.

4. This is what the Delta looks like today from above. It is a maze of over 1,100 miles of waterways that traverse prime farmland and natural habitat areas, with levees surrounding numerous islands or tracts.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not aware of the "familiarization" habitat for the fry and smolt as they grow to release age.............. that's pretty cool. Ideally, the raceways would resemble spring-creek or meandering waterway through meadows with aquatic insect habitat. Not being cynical, but the traditional raceways have become habitat that is similar to the channelized rock lined "freeways" of the delta.
    This is a video and article of the Moke Hatchery from 12/18.......https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...502099711.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Yeah, the one big raceway at the moke hatchery has a lot of foliage and downed timber in it, I'm not sure when they fill it with juveniles, but I usually only go over that way in November to walk around. Last fall, we saw a little steelhead in one of those raceways that was BLUE. Hope that dude made it and passes on more of those genetics. Really strange looking fish.

-stefanoflo fishing for Steelhead from the Moke posted these pics on 1/6/17...pic #4 looks like a blue Steelhead.

Mokumlumne river hatchery and a Blue steelhead

what i saw today fishing fishing the Moke Plus a Bonus fish thats as rare as can be
    and if your Wonder
    its a Blue Steelhead . from what the guys that works at the Hatchery , he said it was a Mutant strain that happens 1 in 10000 years or so
    if you got a Camera . go get a Picture . you will never see one again .
    Attached Thumbnails

ALSO BELOW:

This fisherman posted this comment and picture 7/29/15 on a site called..In Depth Outdoors...under the section 'steel blue steelhead'.

"We caught this steelhead Sunday out of Port Washington. This is the first time I ever saw one this color. Usually they have more of a green/ blue green color. Even the eye of this fish had a blue tint."
    Attachments:

Last edited by Mark1; 07-30-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not aware of the "familiarization" habitat for the fry and smolt as they grow to release age.............. that's pretty cool. Ideally, the raceways would resemble spring-creek or meandering waterway through meadows with aquatic insect habitat. Not being cynical, but the traditional raceways have become habitat that is similar to the channelized rock lined "freeways" of the delta.
    More thinking this out.................. Too bad there are no photographs (aerial photographs) of the entire delta (all the rivers that converge to create the delta) prior to all the hydraulic mining activity.

The folks at the Moke hatchery are doing the best they can with what little there is to work with...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seaohh View Post
    The Mokelumne is typically a late fall run to the upper river - Late Oct/ early Nov. Its a later migration than the American or Feather and further hindered by extremely low flows summer and early autumn. This year will definitely be different as there is already enough flow for fish to navigate the lower river and fish ladder even with all of the ag water diversions. Its a small river that will probably have a 15,000+ run this year. If you go, it will only take 10 minutes of watching for fish jumping and rolling to know if they have arrived yet. All that said, Id probably wait until at least Labor Day or until you hear consistent reports from wimpys before you spend much time up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    spot on with your assessment !!... also Timing plays a big part. and the Pulse Flows

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the one big raceway at the moke hatchery has a lot of foliage and downed timber in it, I'm not sure when they fill it with juveniles, but I usually only go over that way in November to walk around. Last fall, we saw a little steelhead in one of those raceways that was BLUE. Hope that dude made it and passes on more of those genetics. Really strange looking fish.

Post Thanks / Like

The Mokelumne is typically a late fall run to the upper river - Late Oct/ early Nov. Its a later migration than the American or Feather and further hindered by extremely low flows summer and early autumn. This year will definitely be different as there is already enough flow for fish to navigate the lower river and fish ladder even with all of the ag water diversions. Its a small river that will probably have a 15,000+ run this year. If you go, it will only take 10 minutes of watching for fish jumping and rolling to know if they have arrived yet. All that said, Id probably wait until at least Labor Day or until you hear consistent reports from wimpys before you spend much time up there.

information article

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    My friend hooked one on a swimbait while striper fishing a few weeks back, he released it quickly boatside, so there already a few around the river. Likely just some lost springers from the Feather or Sac that came up in the high flow. That little river was RAGING at 3000 CFS for a few months. 3k on a river that's no more than 30 feet wide at some spots is no joke.

But like mentioned above, the Moke fish seem to be wired to show up later than normal, they typically don't even start showing in the lower stretches until late September. Never know unless you try, but you're probably better off fishing the American, Feather or Sac at that point. The moke fish run a unique gauntlet through the delta and slackwater areas of the mokelumne system, I think it's pretty fair that CDFW has it to where those fish get to spawn in peace without me and my flosser kin harassing them.

Check out the hatchery if you get an opportunity to. It's a very nice facility and has some unique raceways with the habitat familiarization going on in a few of them. Sometimes they have mega broodstock central valley steel in there too.

9. Likes dsa2780 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend hooked one on a swimbait while striper fishing a few weeks back, he released it quickly boatside, so there already a few around the river. Likely just some lost springers from the Feather or Sac that came up in the high flow. That little river was RAGING at 3000 CFS for a few months. 3k on a river that's no more than 30 feet wide at some spots is no joke.

But like mentioned above, the Moke fish seem to be wired to show up later than normal, they typically don't even start showing in the lower stretches until late September. Never know unless you try, but you're probably better off fishing the American, Feather or Sac at that point. The moke fish run a unique gauntlet through the delta and slackwater areas of the mokelumne system, I think it's pretty fair that CDFW has it to where those fish get to spawn in peace without me and my flosser kin harassing them.

Check out the hatchery if you get an opportunity to. It's a very nice facility and has some unique raceways with the habitat familiarization going on in a few of them. Sometimes they have mega broodstock central valley steel in there too.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast