Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steelhead returns on the American

sorry about the 30 footer comment, just joking man. congrats on landing a pretty fish!

2. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Steelhead returns on the American

Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    +1, There are some grinding rocks at the pond off of Swan Ct. in Roseville. Used to 4X4 into there and fish for Bass and pan fish years ago before the houses went up. Neat to see and not very well known. I doubt you can get access now.
    I used to fish that pond back in the late 80's & early 90's before it was developed into a housing community. We killed the bass float tubing it with live minnows under a slip bobber. And yes, I know exactly where the grinding holes are there. I stood on that rock and made many a cast back in the day. I caught and released a 10 lb largemouth on a crawdad colored floating crankbait on the south shore of that pond. Those were good times. We used to drive in behind the firestation. We got drunk onetime and swam that pond when it was low at the end of the summer. We got something like 60 lures from all the structure in the pond.

I just looked it up on google earth. All the houses have ruined that place. It used to be so isolated. Thanks for taking me back to memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by kromebrite View Post
    I think that the only other ones in the Sacramento area are at the Maidu center, although I may be wrong on that. I bring it up in case folks don't realize what those are. I wish the signage was better.
    I had a friend that lived right there 30 years ago. We would go into the park to escape the parents. Back then it really wan't a park like it is now. We would explore down there where all the indian holes are. Found some old stuff like arrowheads too. Haven't been back to that park in eons. From 87 to 92 I worked at the corner of douglass and rocky ridge while I was going to college. Done a lot of stupid stuff in Roseville back before I knew any better.
    Last edited by knotgillty; 12-27-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jacks View Post
    Definitely wouldn’t lie about the size of a fish. The camera is zoomed all the way out to get the whole thing in frame. Would post another next to my rod but it’s really not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Good Bro,,, Nice fish . I`m just jealous . you fished and I didn`t !!!! Happy for ya still,, have a good new year!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kromebrite View Post
    Been walking down there lately as well. Lots of gulls, vultures and crows feasting on the salmon carcasses now. A bit stinky for sure, but good to see the fish in.
    That area is prime spawning grounds. I think the most damage happens when people approach from the North side and head out to the chute in the middle. "Mindful" wading would be great. Think of it as a walking meditation, lol.
    My yearly public service announcement: Please don't carve or otherwise destroy what is left of the Native American grinding holes on the North bank. Probably preaching to the choir on this site, but I still see junk shoved into them or where someone has carved into them. There is not much protection for them, and they will at some point be eroded into nothing but memory. However, in the meantime they serve as a great historical reminder and are a precious little bit of what is left from an era prior to the massive changes from the dredges. I think that the only other ones in the Sacramento area are at the Maidu center, although I may be wrong on that. I bring it up in case folks don't realize what those are. I wish the signage was better.

+1, There are some grinding rocks at the pond off of Swan Ct. in Roseville. Used to 4X4 into there and fish for Bass and pan fish years ago before the houses went up. Neat to see and not very well known. I doubt you can get access now. I tried to get my float tube in about 5 years ago and one of the house owners started yelling at me saying it was his lake and was going to call the cops on me. I told the ******* that I had been fishing this pond before he was even born. The cops came and we had a nice chat. He understood and let me fish since it was not posted. I'm sure it is now.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post
    The sailor bar has a large nesting area about 50 yrds below the launch to the island(bedrock mortar site) please be reasonable and stay out of the water in this area. Most of it is from the north shoreline to mid river at this water level. The fish return is very low this year and stomping or dragging a boat through here is not going to help future returns. I walk the area most days this past year. I think about how I should have stayed off these areas now. I realize that we fly guys are more aped to do this stomping! Hopefully the water flows will stay the same or a little higher. The stench is a bit ruff this week.
    Been walking down there lately as well. Lots of gulls, vultures and crows feasting on the salmon carcasses now. A bit stinky for sure, but good to see the fish in.
    That area is prime spawning grounds. I think the most damage happens when people approach from the North side and head out to the chute in the middle. "Mindful" wading would be great. Think of it as a walking meditation, lol.
    My yearly public service announcement: Please don't carve or otherwise destroy what is left of the Native American grinding holes on the North bank. Probably preaching to the choir on this site, but I still see junk shoved into them or where someone has carved into them. There is not much protection for them, and they will at some point be eroded into nothing but memory. However, in the meantime they serve as a great historical reminder and are a precious little bit of what is left from an era prior to the massive changes from the dredges. I think that the only other ones in the Sacramento area are at the Maidu center, although I may be wrong on that. I bring it up in case folks don't realize what those are. I wish the signage was better.
    Last edited by kromebrite; 12-26-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    Gratitude

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    looks like a Mickey Rooney type of fish . Short and round . sure about that 30 Inch mark??? . maybe 22 or 24 The 30??? I question!!!! take it Santa did not give you a tape measure that worked??? But still a Bright good looking hen .
    Compare it to the rocks around it - I believe him. Honestly though, who cares about the length/weight? It’s a nice fish.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

8. Likes CAL.NDN, jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    looks like a Mickey Rooney type of fish . Short and round . sure about that 30 Inch mark??? . maybe 22 or 24 The 30??? I question!!!! take it Santa did not give you a tape measure that worked??? But still a Bright good looking hen .
    Definitely wouldn’t lie about the size of a fish. The camera is zoomed all the way out to get the whole thing in frame. Would post another next to my rod but it’s really not worth it.

10. Likes jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished on Christmas Eve for a good 4 hours in the morning. Caught two really nice chromed out half-pounders. Both came on drift gear.

No photos...just caught, admired, and quickly released. I'm hoping for an adult this upcoming weekend. Tight lines out there!

SH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jacks View Post
    There’s some bigger fish that were moving through earlier this month. I caught a 30’ hen down near Watt the adults are definitely here. Water is low and clear.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelhead39 View Post
    wow a 30 footer!?, that is impressive!
    Inches... exactly why I’d don’t post on here. Troll city. While others troll I get out and fish.

14. Likes Teote liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast