Thread: Johnson 28 spl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johnson 28 spl

You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johnson 28 spl

Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    After trolling about 6 hours I parked the boat.This morning I found about 1/4 cup of goo under the motor. Looks to be gear oil and water mixed.About 150 wt.gear oil thick.
    in the picture there is a "dog knot" above the captivation plate and the stuff seems to be coming from holes above that. Any ideas what's going on and how to deal with it?
    Thanks
    C
    Correction! Below the knot. Sorry.

I know this is old but it might help someone even if it doesn't help the OP.

I have the same engine and the same problem. It's actually NOT a problem.

When you troll for a long time with this engine (or even idle for an extended period) this engine loves to collect the unused 2 stroke oil down in the exhaust and lower unit areas. It collects once the engine sits and puddles under the motor. This is NOT lower unit oil, it's 2 stroke oil. My engine's lower unit is permanently stained from this oil leaking. We pulled the lower screw to check and see if it's lower unit oil. Nope, that stuff has a greenish tint and is super sticky. The oil thats leaking is actually black and very slippery.

I hope this helps people.

3. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnson 28 spl

After trolling about 6 hours I parked the boat.This morning I found about 1/4 cup of goo under the motor. Looks to be gear oil and water mixed.About 150 wt.gear oil thick.
    http://smalloutboards.com/images/j2887xmay11/side2.jpg in the picture there is a "dog knot" above the captivation plate and the stuff seems to be coming from holes above that. Any ideas what's going on and how to deal with it?
    Thanks
    C
    Correction! Below the knot. Sorry.
    Last edited by CDK; 02-27-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.