Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heading up to Camanche

Reporting back.

I fished the pond yesterday. The guy at the pay station said they planted 800lbs worth of trout in the pond a few weeks ago, both lightning and rainbow. I fished both sides of the pond using powerbait and different thomas buoyants. It was pretty cold up there yesterday, 35F when I got up there.

There were two guys fishing by the dock to the right of the spillway and they caught two rainbows, but that's all I saw anyone catch.

Oddly enough, the guy at the pay station said no bass were in the pond, but yesterday, I saw someone on Fishbrain catch a bass at the pond (right next to the same dock I fished). So it looks like bass are being put in there too, most likely by other fishermen and no the staff at Camanche. I'll have to go back up someday, I didn't realize pardee was so close.

I drove up a bit further so check on some of the higher elevation lakes since I vacation up there quite often. SOOOOO much snow, but parts of the West Carson River are open and ice has come off some of the river. Same goes for the Truckee at lower elevations. Silver lake near the spillway has also opened up a bit and you can now see a larger seam that's opened up on the lake. Same goes for Caples. I'm excited to try and fly fish the West Carson this year. I've heard of some people pulling out some nice wild trout out of there. Nothing big, but I love stream fishing.

Thanks for the help all!

2. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive fished Comanche a lot but I always troll (and do well).Ive fished the South Shore trout pond a couple of times with fair success but not for a couple years. The pond may be your best shot. The usual power bait type baits seem to work pretty well. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.
    Last time I was there I talked to a couple guys who were shore fishing about 100 yards to the left of the south shore launch ramp on the main lake. They had 2 to 3 large trout a piece. Dont know what they were using. From shore Id try bait on one rod and a lure like a kastmaster or rooster tail on another.
    In any event they have planted a tremendous amount of trout in both the lake and the pond and they are all big trout. If you fish the pond you may catch a lightening trout as they plant some in the pond. Good luck. Tight lines.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

The trout pond would be a good choice

Post Thanks / Like

Heading up to Camanche

So I'm going to try out Camanche tomorrow. Never been up there and i'll be shore fishing. I was wondering if anyone has advice for trout or bass there? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!