Thread: Delta 3-24-19

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delta 3-24-19

Quote Originally Posted by kromebrite View Post
    Then they grow up, move out on their own and find their place in the world. It's all good and how it should be.
    In the meantime, you are showing them nature and a myriad of things they might never see. On the delta they get to see herons, turtles, all sorts of waterfowl and maybe even some of what swims under the water. They get to learn about tides, currents and boating. They can learn how to correctly deal with inconsiderate boaters. They can learn ethics and stewardship. The list goes on and on. Sometimes they go on to be lifetime fishers themselves.
    My daughter has a deep love of the delta and the bays because she grew up exploring it with her mother and I. Her personal best striper was caught on either a Snoopy or Barbie rod( I don't recall).
    Although they grow up and get busy with their own lives, you never know when out of the blue they ask "so when are we going striper fishing again?" Or sharayin', as is the case is with my daughter.
    Keep up the good work of showing our future the wonders of nature.
    Also, I'm convinced kids are the reason the bluegill was created, lol.
    Excellent commentary, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Then they grow up, move out on their own and find their place in the world. It's all good and how it should be.
    In the meantime, you are showing them nature and a myriad of things they might never see. On the delta they get to see herons, turtles, all sorts of waterfowl and maybe even some of what swims under the water. They get to learn about tides, currents and boating. They can learn how to correctly deal with inconsiderate boaters. They can learn ethics and stewardship. The list goes on and on. Sometimes they go on to be lifetime fishers themselves.
    My daughter has a deep love of the delta and the bays because she grew up exploring it with her mother and I. Her personal best striper was caught on either a Snoopy or Barbie rod( I don't recall).
    Although they grow up and get busy with their own lives, you never know when out of the blue they ask "so when are we going striper fishing again?" Or sharayin', as is the case is with my daughter.
    Keep up the good work of showing our future the wonders of nature.
    Also, I'm convinced kids are the reason the bluegill was created, lol.
    Last edited by kromebrite; 03-26-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    Gratitude

3. Likes Greybeard, Stickman, radoncraft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Fishing with kids is kind of a misleading term. Trying not to crash, get hooks in the head while attempting to keep little people happy and alive, is a more realistic description.

If you can run a trolling spread, play dodge-boat and keep a couple of kids happy all at the same time, you’re a better man than I am. I love “fishing with my kids” more than anything, but I have to dumb it down. Bait fishing on the anchor helps a lot. I tend to pick 2 or 3 spots to hit max and electronics, food, toys and god forbid books give me some time to get crap set up and moved around. I’m not deluded enough to pretend I’m fishing as effectively as I could be, but we do have fun, catch a few fish every now and then, and most importantly leave want to come back. If it’s not fun, or dad’s cussing (guilty more than I’d like to admit), they won’t want to come back.

Just my advice from having learned the hard way. Congrats on a very successful trip all things considered.
    Man I couldn't agree more. Luckily My wife is a saint and has that soft voice to keep the children smilling when Im loosing my cool. If Im by myself I can really only handle one of the older ones at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing with kids is kind of a misleading term. Trying not to crash, get hooks in the head while attempting to keep little people happy and alive, is a more realistic description.

If you can run a trolling spread, play dodge-boat and keep a couple of kids happy all at the same time, you’re a better man than I am. I love “fishing with my kids” more than anything, but I have to dumb it down. Bait fishing on the anchor helps a lot. I tend to pick 2 or 3 spots to hit max and electronics, food, toys and god forbid books give me some time to get crap set up and moved around. I’m not deluded enough to pretend I’m fishing as effectively as I could be, but we do have fun, catch a few fish every now and then, and most importantly leave want to come back. If it’s not fun, or dad’s cussing (guilty more than I’d like to admit), they won’t want to come back.

Just my advice from having learned the hard way. Congrats on a very successful trip all things considered.

6. Likes radoncraft, redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Thanks for your report.

I can relate to the kids frustrations when not catching fish. I brought my Twin great grand-daughters fishing and after 15 minutes they were playing with the worm bait and that kept them occupied and happy.
    We tried this time to be engaging parents, leaving the Ipad at home... But snacks and coloring books only lasted so long before they began to argue about their favorite seat, who gets to help steer, who get to check on the fish in the cooler on ice.... We might just succumb to current tech devices, or at least utilize them when fishing is slow or difficult. When we start going for trout in the higher lakes after the melt I will certainly purchase an extra tub of worms to keep these heathens at bay.

8. Likes radoncraft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was out there yesterday as well. Felt like combat fishing with all the boats. Lot's of them has no boat etiquette. I had three different boats nearly make contact with my boat and lots of line ran under my boats. We did have a ok day though. 3 keepers and lost three more.
    2017, 20ft Gregor Eagle, 100hp Honda, 9.9 Honda, 80 lb Riptide, 4 Scotty 1106's

10. Likes radoncraft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Icastnblast View Post
    .. Its tough keeping kids happy in a boat when frustration sets in from the never ending snags converting lively rod tips into a dead bow...
    Thanks for your report.

I can relate to the kids frustrations when not catching fish. I brought my Twin great grand-daughters fishing and after 15 minutes they were playing with the worm bait and that kept them occupied and happy.

12. Likes dennis l, RideNfish, kickinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Delta 3-24-19

Trolled with the wife and kids between franks and the santa clara all morning on sunday. Visibilty is getting better and there are some good numbers of fish around there. Water temps were nearing 57. We ended up bring 6 fish to the boat with 3 of them being in the keeper range, but we spent the majority of our time dodging other boats and clearing lines from debris. Its tough keeping kids happy in a boat when frustration sets in from the never ending snags converting lively rod tips into a dead bow...

14. Likes radoncraft liked this post