Thread: Trolling speed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling speed

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread

Post Thanks / Like

Still water use the gps MPH. If you mean in the delta what I do is allow the boat to drift with the current with out power from the motor while Im getting things prepped and ready. I take a note of the gps speed of the current then apply that to the GPS speed while trolling. So if the the boat moving with the current alone is going 1 mph and I want to troll at 3 mph I know that trolling with the current my GPS speed needs to be about 4 and against the current my GPS speed needs to be about 2.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.tamiron.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

Even how you attach a lure to your line can affect performance speed.

Simple guideline to proper speed is to change speed, direction, added weight, lighter/heavier line, etc. until something works! Don't get comfortable and enjoy the boat ride without catching fish. Change until something works and then try to repeat it. If the "bite" stops, start changing again. Trout are aggressive predators, but become very wary when something doesn't look right.

4. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on a few things for me.

Basic answer is speed relative to current, and in the river, or delta with a moving current, GPS doesn’t do much good, for hopefully obvious reasons. You can use and calibrate current speed (Drift a half mile with the current, see what GPS says your speed is, and either add or subtract depending on heading upstream or down). Don’t bother in Delta tides as they change so often it will almost never be right.

One easier way is to put a rig in the water, adjust speed and see how the lure and rod react. Very easy to tell the difference between pulling a Yozuri deep diver 2 mph vs 4. Over time you’ll get a feel for it. Same thing pulling plugs or dodgers for salmon.

I’m assuming when someone reports they’re catching stripers shallow trolling at 4 mph, everyone agrees the terminology is meant to mean 4 mph faster than the current. Bucking a 2 mph head current you’d only be going 2 mph on the GPS vs 6mph trolling down current.

In lakes they also have currents but they’re generally not fast enough to matter. One member who fishes Shasta points this out from time to time, and he’s right for the Great Lakes, ocean and maybe Pyramid and Tahoe but it’s not a conventional point of discussion, and 1/8 mph doesn’t matter most of the time (My opinion anyway).

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling in lakes, the GSP is used. Trolling with current ie Delta, Bay or Ocean the Paddle wheel speed sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

I troll for trout more than I do for stripers and I really don't pay too much attention to my gps speed when first using a lure. I let a little line out and watch the action. When it looks right then that is the rpm and speed I try to stay with. I may speed up or slow down occasionally but I will return to the rpm or speed I started with. With current I don't see any other way to know what your lure is doing. GPS speed may be useful once you see the lure working but when the current flow changes then gps speed will change.
    The other thing is most lures have a range that they work at. Example I can troll a Rapala from 2-4 mph and it still runs OK. Trolling a rattle trap for stripers the lure looks good from 2-4 mph just like a Rapala does. Some guys troll as fast as they can and have the lure work and others prefer the slowest possible presentation.

8. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GetEm925 View Post
    Can the admins please move this thread to general freshwater discussion please. Thank you
    Done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Can the admins please move this thread to general freshwater discussion please. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

In still water like lake GPS. With current like riverI put the lure over the side and look at the lures action.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

12. Likes nayr, Stickman, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling speed

How do you guys measure your trolling speeds for stripers. Do you use fish finder speed or other means? Thanks in advance.