Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear lake crappie question

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Not really, even the crappie in the foothills are done with their spawn.
    Maybe your spots but I am still catching crappie that havenít spawned yet or are still in the prespawn stage.

Donít forget that every location is different depending on the weather and water conditions of that location to make it ideal for the spawn.

Or maybe itís just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingfan View Post
    Depends on your fishing spots...

Not really, even the crappie in the foothills are done with their spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    Crappie are way done with this years spawn.
    Depends on your fishing spots...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingfan View Post
    Iíve been so busy with life that I havenít been on much but here is my reply.

Right now the crappie are in the tules because they are getting ready for the spawn. After the spawn then they will move into the deeper waters throughout the summer. They will make their way back into the shallows when it is late fall again to start feeding before winter hits. They will then make their way back to their winter grounds until the spawn again.

Well, thatís what I learned from my many years of fishing for crappie at Clear Lake.

Crappie are way done with this years spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve been so busy with life that I havenít been on much but here is my reply.

Right now the crappie are in the tules because they are getting ready for the spawn. After the spawn then they will move into the deeper waters throughout the summer. They will make their way back into the shallows when it is late fall again to start feeding before winter hits. They will then make their way back to their winter grounds until the spawn again.

Well, thatís what I learned from my many years of fishing for crappie at Clear Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linesider View Post
    Hey folks, I have a quick question about crappie fishing up at Clear lake. I was just up this past weekend fishing a bass tournament and saw several boats up north anchored by the tulles fishing crappies - some boats doing quit well at it. I've fished for crappie up there a few times but it's been in the earlier months of the year when water is much colder. They are usually bunched up in some of the more well known areas off of Shag Rock, Sea Breeze, Kono Tayee to name a few.

I'm wondering how the heck you figure out what tulle clumps to fish when they scatter from the previous mentioned cold water haunts and hit the tulles. Any advice on how to narrow that playing field down is welcomed. I'd like to head up there again this weekend and fish for some crappies. Is there a pattern that could shorten my learning curve or is it just a matter of hunt and peck until you run in to them?

PM me if you have secret waypoints and don't want to blow up your spot!
    Since no one replied, I'll give it a shot. I believe they hang out in the sparse weed and tules. When the weeds or tules are thick I generally don't catch very many fish only a few out in the edges of the weed line. When I'm scanning with my Side Imaging I'll see more fish in the sparse tules with less vegetation then when it over grown with weed in the bottoms of the tules. Right now they should be spawning and in shallow water. Good luck if you go and let us know how you do.

Fishing Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear lake crappie question

Hey folks, I have a quick question about crappie fishing up at Clear lake. I was just up this past weekend fishing a bass tournament and saw several boats up north anchored by the tulles fishing crappies - some boats doing quit well at it. I've fished for crappie up there a few times but it's been in the earlier months of the year when water is much colder. They are usually bunched up in some of the more well known areas off of Shag Rock, Sea Breeze, Kono Tayee to name a few.

I'm wondering how the heck you figure out what tulle clumps to fish when they scatter from the previous mentioned cold water haunts and hit the tulles. Any advice on how to narrow that playing field down is welcomed. I'd like to head up there again this weekend and fish for some crappies. Is there a pattern that could shorten my learning curve or is it just a matter of hunt and peck until you run in to them?

PM me if you have secret waypoints and don't want to blow up your spot!