Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Trout Opener.

.... I enjoyed the few hours I had on the river....

Thats a win, fish caught or no. Reading articles and chat boards provides good information, but nothing beats time on the water. Just as much to be learned from no-fish enjoyable time on the water as anything else. Keep going, trying different things and youll do just fine.

Thanks for the report.

2. Likes Stickman, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the boards, Ashton! Thank you for the post on your opening day efforts. Generally you will find trout very near the bottom in moving water which means it takes more weight in higher, faster spring run-off fishing than you would use when targeting trout with the same offering in a lake. I agree with the tips that DSA2780 offered on baits to use and would add that you can use a jig head with a live worm as well, to get down into the strike zone. Depending on the run you are targeting, it might also be helpful to run your bait rig under a float (bobber) - experimenting with different depths until you get a s\trike.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    First post here. I went out today for my first ever trout opening day and hit up the Bear River. I got on at Dog Bar and hiked up-river a few hundred yards to a few pools north of the bridge. The water was running fast and high and visibility was about 1.5-2 feet. I didn't get any bites, may be a nibble or two.

I started off with a blue and silver kastmaster (i'm so newbie, I don't know my weights yet). Then I switched to a black and yellow panther martin gold blade. Neither of those anything. I am pretty sure I didn't have my kastmaster tied into a ring or a swivel, so it's action was probably junk. I then lost it in a tree, so that will be a well won prize if anyone can get to it. I switched to grubs, both a ribbon-tail and a swimbait. I had one size 3 split shot on the line (I remember the package, cause I had to go get heavier ones) and my casts were going far enough, but the current was pushing it to fast for it to sink and I don't think I ever presented in the fisho's faces, so they didn't have anything to try and strike at. When I went to the fishing shop afterwards, the guy told me the trout love the classic nightcrawlers and worms. I will be doing so, and had a gulp worm hooked up to try before I had to leave the river.

I just played at the two or three holes I found, practiced casting and retrieving, tying knots and changing tactics. I enjoyed the few hours I had to be on the river and my learned how to operate my shimano sedona 500 series on a 7ft Ugly Stick lite. I went and got the heavier split shots, and I am going to try bullet weights all in an effort to get my baits down towards the bottom of this high water.
    Good call on that with the worms. Where its legal, they cant be beat.

Little gulp minnows or micro flukes on jigheads are also killer and its a relatively easy system that can be fished at numerous depths.

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Newbie on Fish Row
    Post Thanks / Like

First post here. I went out today for my first ever trout opening day and hit up the Bear River. I got on at Dog Bar and hiked up-river a few hundred yards to a few pools north of the bridge. The water was running fast and high and visibility was about 1.5-2 feet. I didn't get any bites, may be a nibble or two.

I started off with a blue and silver kastmaster (i'm so newbie, I don't know my weights yet). Then I switched to a black and yellow panther martin gold blade. Neither of those anything. I am pretty sure I didn't have my kastmaster tied into a ring or a swivel, so it's action was probably junk. I then lost it in a tree, so that will be a well won prize if anyone can get to it. I switched to grubs, both a ribbon-tail and a swimbait. I had one size 3 split shot on the line (I remember the package, cause I had to go get heavier ones) and my casts were going far enough, but the current was pushing it to fast for it to sink and I don't think I ever presented in the fisho's faces, so they didn't have anything to try and strike at. When I went to the fishing shop afterwards, the guy told me the trout love the classic nightcrawlers and worms. I will be doing so, and had a gulp worm hooked up to try before I had to leave the river.

I just played at the two or three holes I found, practiced casting and retrieving, tying knots and changing tactics. I enjoyed the few hours I had to be on the river and my learned how to operate my shimano sedona 500 series on a 7ft Ugly Stick lite. I went and got the heavier split shots, and I am going to try bullet weights all in an effort to get my baits down towards the bottom of this high water.

8. Likes Stickman, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: 2019 Trout Opener.

A few years ago I went out on an opener and it was cold with ice on the roads. It is always different, I don't think there will be any combat fishing going on....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

good luck tomorrow friends! Stay safe and be vigilant

11. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I hate to back out and been on lakes all winter but that is ripping now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAL.NDN View Post
    It's almost twice the river it was from the Tuesday pictures that were posted. Last night and this morning chart.

Yes it is. I went yesterday after work and found a few creeks that are good to go but the water temperature was a bit cold. Maybe I'll just take the boat out in the big lake this weekend and fish the rivers next week in the evenings.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's almost twice the river it was from the Tuesday pictures that were posted. Last night and this morning chart.

THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

15. Likes MKE, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: 2019 Trout Opener.

"I might take my auto and give a look tomorrow, but I do not think I will be fishing, gear and license will be along though......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

17. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast