Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forage base in Tahoe

Don't know if this helps, but back in the NY Finger Lakes, my fishing partner and I discovered that, when still fishing with live rainbow smelt, at spawning time, the Lake Trout preferred female smelt filled with roe over males or spawned out females in an overwhelming majority of cases.

We got to the point where we fished with females and fried the males and spawned out females and ate them ourselves! I guess it's a little like brown bears preferring salmon with roe as well toward the end of the run.

Post Thanks / Like

Mack:

Thanks for the feed back. / JIM

Post Thanks / Like

Forage base in Tahoe

3-4” lures will get the most action. But rat macks will hit almost any size lure!!!

Hook me up with some honey bees
    And I will let you know which size they like best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Star Re: Forage base in Tahoe

You can look up Lahontan Redside and Speckled Dace to get an idea of the most common baitfish in Tahoe. There are also some other suckers and chub but they’re not as common.

You can drops minnow trap with some dry dog food in 20-30’ rocky area and get a first hand look, and use them as bait so long as you don’t leave the lake with them.

I’ve found a 3-4” power minnow in natural colors, or some red flake, are a great imitation and I don’t have to kill time trapping minnows. I also like to pull Rebel Crawdad plugs very tight to the bottom.

For big Mackinaw imitating a 6-8’ Kokanee pulled fast is a good option. Not many bites that way, but most of the bigger fish are caught with that theme in mind.

Lots of info about the lake on-line too. Mark Wiza used to write a lot about Tahoe here and other places and I’ve learned a lot from him.

Good luck, it’s a beautiful place.

6. Likes MKE, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty diverse!! But certainly not unusual for lakers! I was hoping to understand preferred length of minnows, trout etc that they hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Shrimp, crawdads, minnows, kokanee, and trout are all on the menu. There's probably some that I forgot. A few years back my buddy caught a 15# Mack that had an 16" rainbow in it's stomach.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Forage base in Tahoe

Can anybody tell me more about the forage base in Tahoe (type, size, etc.)?