Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling for trout

Nice looking knot!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koke Machine83 View Post
    I want a little stretch with Mono. Special Kokanee, they have super soft mouths. Trout start head shaking near the boat and have some great runs when first hooked. You have a nice soft rod and smooth drags. I have used only Mono with great results. If its not Broke,!!! Robbie
    I couldn't agree more, if it works for you, no need to change. If I targeted kokes more often, I'd probably use mono. What wasn't working for me with those trout headshakes and jumps was size 4 trebles or smaller. Lose tension once and bye bye. I started using 2's then to 1's. I know, sounds crazy but once they get their mouth over it they're usually pinned for good. Other reason I went bigger was to keep off the dinks.. but even they often get all of it. So I stayed with bigger hooks and it resulted in fewer lost fish.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Manteca Steve, Ldubs, Koke Machine83 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post

Thanks for the tip on the alberto knot. I checked it out on youtube and it looks like it is easier to tie. I'm going to retie with that knot.
    It is much easier and that's why I switched. Nothing wrong with a double uni, great knot.. but when hands are cold.. ya know? 5 wraps up & 5 back makes for a small knot that won't catch up in the guides.

Post Thanks / Like

I want a little stretch with Mono. Special Kokanee, they have super soft mouths. Trout start head shaking near the boat and have some great runs when first hooked. You have a nice soft rod and smooth drags. I have used only Mono with great results. If its not Broke,!!! Robbie

6. Likes Jetspray, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very easy to tie and tiny and strong

Thanks again

Tag end is a little fluffy but in a good way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikfish View Post
    I use your method to a T. except I join braid to fluoro with an Alberto knot. I feel with a good flexible rod the long 50' seaguar fluoro leader gives you enough stretch & invisibility when you need it, but can still turn a fish with the strength of braid backing. Plus small diameter braid cuts the water better It's a winner trolling setup.

Thanks for the tip on the alberto knot. I checked it out on youtube and it looks like it is easier to tie. I'm going to retie with that knot.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    ​Definitely use the electrical tape. I tie the braid on the spool first, then add about 4" of electrical tape over the braid and wind it on with the reel handle. Either way works.

Also wind the braid onto the reel under pressure or it may dig into itself on the reel.

I use Power Pro 20lb and a 15 yard top shot of 15lb.
    Seaguar InvisX fluorocarbon tied with a double uni knot. Depending on the type of fishing, you may want to go lighter.

I use your method to a T. except I join braid to fluoro with an Alberto knot. I feel with a good flexible rod the long 50' seaguar fluoro leader gives you enough stretch & invisibility when you need it, but can still turn a fish with the strength of braid backing. Plus small diameter braid cuts the water better It's a winner trolling setup.

10. Likes hooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    The great debate of braid vs. mono. Everyone has their own preferences. For me I like to keep things simple and easy. For trout and Koke trolling I use mono, no braid. Iíve been doing that for 20 plus years , I know how it works and feel comfortable with mono. I use braid for other things but not trout/kokes. Iíve never had any problems with breakage or frayed line, mostly because I generally troll in deep water and thereís nothing there for the line to rub against and get frayed.
    What I really like about mono besides the simplicity of using it is itís stretch. The stretch allows me to hook more fish. The stretch actually helps hook the fish where braid without the stretch can pull the lure out of the fishes mouth. I understand that you attach mono to the end of the braid and therefore have stretch but again for me itís just simpler and easier to use all mono. I havenít lost line or fish as far as I know due to using all mono. But everyone has their own ideas and preferences. So do what you think is best for you, what works best for you. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I feel the same and agree with the stretch being a benefit. I've never had a break with mono. I do probably change it out more than I need but it is relatively inexpensive. In reality, I'm so used to mono that I just don't want to change. Though I have started using fluoro leaders.

12. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The great debate of braid vs. mono. Everyone has their own preferences. For me I like to keep things simple and easy. For trout and Koke trolling I use mono, no braid. Iíve been doing that for 20 plus years , I know how it works and feel comfortable with mono. I use braid for other things but not trout/kokes. Iíve never had any problems with breakage or frayed line, mostly because I generally troll in deep water and thereís nothing there for the line to rub against and get frayed.
    What I really like about mono besides the simplicity of using it is itís stretch. The stretch allows me to hook more fish. The stretch actually helps hook the fish where braid without the stretch can pull the lure out of the fishes mouth. I understand that you attach mono to the end of the braid and therefore have stretch but again for me itís just simpler and easier to use all mono. I havenít lost line or fish as far as I know due to using all mono. But everyone has their own ideas and preferences. So do what you think is best for you, what works best for you. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

14. Likes Paintguy, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Main thing with clips and DR's is to make a loop of maybe 4 o 5 twists of the line before you put it in. Also pull on it to see if you need to adjust the tension of the clip. Since it is more slick than mono it does cause some problems especially with ties to other lines or swivels or duo-lock type setups. I have found that some knots work and some do not, a dab of super glue can help but I usually just make a good knot...ÖJetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast