Thread: melones upset

Post Thanks / Like

Re: melones upset

Definitely hot reports typically lag the bite and I agree with all about getting away from the herd. Also, when the bite is tough try varying your speed from your usual trolling pace. Keep at it, you’ll get your turn on the front page of the “Hot Bite” in no time.

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slvrsides View Post
    If you ask me a couple Trout and a couple Kokes is a good day!!
    absolutely nothing wrong with 2 and 2! Especially the "bonus" trout. Lack of DFW plants has definitely hurt what used to be a really nice trout fishery.

On our trip last week, we metered big concentrations of fish all over the main lake. The unseasonably cool water means that the fish have a ton of options to spread out and feed and aren't restricted to the "normal" summertime depths of 60' to 100' like many years. With the onset of a valley summer it's probably done for the year, but catching 15" kokes toplining mono was a ton of fun and reminded me of what nice fighters they can be in the best conditions.

When the bite is spotty, i think this makes it even more important to quickly retrace successful trolling passes, including not only the spot where you got bit, but also the direction of the troll path. Then once you've stopped getting bit you can keep prospecting. We've caught fish from the Dam, Spillway, Rose Island and West of Glory Hole point. It's tough to cover much ground at 1mph so i try and force myself to pull up gear and move when we decide to change areas rather than just point the boat and troll, otherwise it could take 2 hours of prime fishing time to move from the spillway to Rose Island.

Last, i know i'd gotten a little lazy on the last trip when it came to details like leader length, or setback from the downrigger release. When the bite is hot, short leaders and short dropbacks are key, but when the fish get fussy, a little more finesse is often called for. I start to lengthen drop backs and leader lengths when i believe that i am still in the fish this time of year but cannot get them to bite; a little different than late season when they are close to spawn where i tend to move to more aggressive presentations with short leaders, bright uv/fluorescent colors and aggressive action baits.

Keep the faith. I think we're in for a really, really good season with big fish. I've seen pictures and reliable reports of fish 16"+ that will likely mean end of season fish pushing 18" and as the water warms i think the fish will concentrate more and become increasingly aggressive and catchable.

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ask me a couple Trout and a couple Kokes is a good day!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trolling across the lake from the spillway and REFUSE to go across and partake in the mayhem!!..been doin pretty good too(pair of limits last weekend)with the exception of Sunday..somethin was definitely up this weekend I fished Saturday night too for Crappie and only caught 2 fish when we've been killin em

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that is most likely my issue. I need to venture out more and find new spots.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been getting afternoon thunderstorms here. My buddy got skunked yesterday there and another buddy only got one. Something was up yesterday.

Those fish have been hit hard the last couple weeks, I don't know why guys follow the fleet, there are kokes all over Melones (and Pedro). I'd rather fish for kokes/trout that aren't super pressured.

9. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

melones upset

Hit up Melones on saturday with a buddy and our kids, hoping to cash in on "wide open" reports preceding our available time frame. showed up at the ramp a touch late but still in the zone and headed to the spill way area to jump in with the crowd. got the first strike before the lead could hit our target depths but lost him quickly. Only a few minutes later we had a trout and a nice koke in the box along with a C&R bass. things were looking good! Then the switch was turned. Ended up fishing till noon with 2 kokes and 2 trout, just enough for our dinners. Kids got bored, gear was cycled through, snacks ran thin, but at least it wasn't all for nothing as there was meat in the boat. Seems everytime we follow the reports we get hosed by the unkown cause of bite shutdown. Pretty sure hot reports have a 1-2 day shelf life. One of these days this boat is gonna be on the forefront of a hot report.