Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping Moisture out of Fuel System

As always, a wealth of information on any question asked.

Ldud, your reinforcement adds greatly.
    Sac Preformance, thanks for the ration explanation it is right at me.
    Water Dog, yes that was my question and I am very satisfied with all replys and your info on these roducts.
    JJB, I have a factory installed one, be it a little guy and thanks for reminding us that there is really not substitute
    for preventive maintenance.

Thanks you guys.

Just George

2. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My previous boat had a 3 gal gaso tank. I used it about weekly so figured I was recycling the fuel enough to avoid this problem. Glad to read from folks who know a lot more than me that I was on track.

The manual for my current Honda outboard says something like if the gaso tank isn't recycled monthly to use fuel stabilizer. Again right on track with the advice previously given. Because I have a larger gaso tank I currently use Honda's product routinely.

So,I guess I'm not really adding any information, but appreciate being able to learn from the membership.

4. Likes Jetspray, Just George liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Running 15 hours a month on a 3 gallon tank, you really don’t need to worry about preserving fuel quality.

If the fuel in the tank will sit for more than 30 days, then treat it with some stabilizer.
    Tim Jacobs
    Sacramento Performance Marine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    I have a 3 gal tank on a new 20hp motor. I use the boat an average of 3 days a month in the Sacramento area for 4 to 5 hours of run time each outing.

I would like to use an additive to keep moisture out of my fuel system. I keep the tank at least 1/2 full and only run top tier chevron supreme. Will an additive like Sta-Bil 360 Marine work as it's advertised.

Any help is appreciated.

Just George
    i think the op is asking about phase separation and not water actually getting his tank. And yes as LineStretcher says the mentioned products will treat phase separation which is water in the gas caused by ethanol.
    In any event a stabilizer should be used in boat tanks because of the length of time fuel remains in the tank.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, there isnt an additive that will keep water out of your fuel. The two do not mix and the water is heavier so it will settle to the bottom of the tank. A water separating filter is the best method however, with as much use as you say, I doubt you need to worry about it provided that you close your tank vent when it's not in use. If you want to store the boat then fill the tank and add Star Tron (my favorite also) close the vent and you should be good.

As to how water gets in fuel. Ethanol will pull moisture from the air and changes in temps will cause your tank to breath pulling in air as the fuel expands and contracts. When you are running the engine, the tank replaces the used fuel with air via the vent.

Fuel additives like Stabil and Star Tron slow or stop fuel oxidation and prolong it's useful life. Once its oxidized it cant be fixed and you can tell that it is when its turned yellowish brown. At that point its lawnmower gas.

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stabil is good but I use another product that I think is better. It’s called Star Tron Enzyme fuel treatment. Since I switched from Stabil my boat starts easier even after long periods of non use and runs smoother. I use it in my main tank and in the tank for my kicker. It’s quite concentrated , 8oz treats 128 gallons of fuel so a little bit goes a long ways. I use it every time I put gas in my boat tanks. You should definitely use an additive like Stabil or Star Tron.
    Heres a little statement about Star Tron from their website -
    Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment is a multifunctional fuel additive that cures and prevents ethanol fuel problems. It allows all engines, from the smallest 2-stroke outboard to the largest megayacht turbo diesel, start more easily and run more smoothly. Star Tron is the # 1 marine fuel treatment in the US because it allows hydrocarbon fuels to burn more completely for maximum performance, reduces harmful emissions, prevents carbon deposits and helps improve cruising range and fuel economy. It helps prevent phase separation by dispersing water throughout the fuel as submicron-sized droplets that are safely eliminated while the engine operates. Regular use will keep fuel injectors and carburetors clean. A year-round treatment, Star Tron also stabilizes fuel, making it ideal for use in winterized boats and can rejuvenate old, substandard fuel.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 06-04-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

10. Likes one more cast, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They sell inline fuel filters and moisture separators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping Moisture out of Fuel System

I have a 3 gal tank on a new 20hp motor. I use the boat an average of 3 days a month in the Sacramento area for 4 to 5 hours of run time each outing.

I would like to use an additive to keep moisture out of my fuel system. I keep the tank at least 1/2 full and only run top tier chevron supreme. Will an additive like Sta-Bil 360 Marine work as it's advertised.

Any help is appreciated.

Just George
    Last edited by Just George; 06-04-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add text