Thread: Lake lice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake lice

There is nothing better than family time on the water in my opinion. Going 40 with water splashing in your face, or 1.2 dragging shiny metal and corn, it's all fun in my book. Fond memories of both as a kid, and just as fun now with the next generation. Glad you got to enjoy a fine day with your family and even sniffer friends.

As for the lake lice thing, I always find it hilarious. I have vivid memories of my grandfather griping about those damn kids and their crappy music blaring not knowing how to drive a boat from the time I could walk. I expect the Cavemen *****ed about the Neanderthals jetskiing in their trolling lanes. Live and let live in my book. Plus laughing at people doing dumb stuff is part of the experience, and the slow boats are just as prone to that as the fast ones if we're all being honest. Now spend more than 3 minutes on the ramp loading coolers and sunscreen in your boat while I'm waiting to launch and it's time to throw-down, but that's a different story.....

Thanks for sharing.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I purchased this boat new in 2007 and in that amount of time I would bet there has been less than 12 beers total consumed on my boat. I have probably had a couple but others know that they cannot bring more than a beer or two on my boat. I never drank much when I water skied and will not drink while fishing or hunting. Makes no sense to me to be under the influence of anything and try to operate a piece of equipment or a firearm. I wish the other boaters felt the same way. But then again people drink and drive every day so why would we expect boating to be different.
    I basically kept the boat in one area and there were no boats fishing near us. Of course an 18' Crestliner doesn't produce a wake like those other boats but the kids still had fun. That is why I purchased a 115 Merc when others typically buy this boat with smaller outboards. It isn't fast but it will pull tubes just fine.

Now they want a ski pole. I don't think so.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Lake lice

I do not water ski and never have, but that does not make me want others to not enjoy a good weekend with family. My son water ski's and enjoys that with his family. I do still fish during lake lice season from the boat, but do not much on weekends. For me it is just the same as anything else, if you want to drink or smoke or enjoy the party time, just keep it on the other side of the dock and don't do it on the water. I enjoy a libation but only at the camp when I am done for the day. Remeber if something happens to you and others on board are plastered, who will get the boat back to the dock in the first place. Keep your PFD's close to you too.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

When I was young I was an avid water skier. I even skied slalom on the pro circuit for a year. So I was considered lake lice. I was also an avid fisherman. Being a fisherman I always kept my distance from my fishing brothers and practiced good boating manners. Never ever had a problem with a fisherman. It’s a different group out there today. Boats blasting crap music, so the whole lake can hear it,(at least I think it’s music), jet skiers going 60+ mph not paying attention, boats pulling skiers cutting in front of others, paying no attention to the rules of the water and so on. There are many polite boaters and skiers trying to do what’s right but there seems to be a large number of rude, perhaps stupid, idiots driving boats and jet skis than I ever remember back in the day. Idiots seem to be breeding in large numbers now a days. And it all gets way worse when they add booze to the mix. In my boat during the summer I am off the water by noon, at least if I’m out there on a weekend, not later because of the idiots and by noon a number have already started drinking.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 06-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

7. Likes MKE, GW208, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me a while to figure out why Pyramid Lake shuts down for fishing on July 1st and opens on Oct 1st. I heard a lot of different stories but my story is that they do it so the recreational boaters can have fun without having to dodge a bunch of angry fisherman on the water, the beaches and the ramp.. Them Paiutes are pretty smart.

9. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all have some in us. It brings me back to my childhood with some good times. Now I still do it so my daughter can have those memories.

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake lice

I was one of those yesterday. We rented a party boat and took the grandkids (and their parents) to the lake. I managed to fish an hour real early and another hour or so late but during the day it was all about the water slide, the food and the inner tube behind my boat. Once you get them on an inflatable behind your boat they no longer think about fishing. We even had another Sniffer and his family stop by for an hour or so to use the water slide. Surprisingly enough they all said they want to come back and do it again. Once upon a time we used to water ski a lot but those days are long gone for me.

13. Likes MKE, LineStretcher, Jetspray, CDK liked this post