Post Thanks / Like

Re: Large pikeminnows northfork american river, also anyone know of any trout plants?

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    My grand daughter caught this one near Rio Vista while trolling for Stripers

IMG_2928.jpg
    Nice one! Also I like the hat, been looking to get the trout patagonia hat for my gf and I. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Large pikeminnows northfork american river, also anyone know of any trout plants?

My grand daughter caught this one near Rio Vista while trolling for Stripers

IMG_2928.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfin View Post
    The infamous sqawfish! That second picture is a nice one from the looks of it , I would say 5 - 6 lbs . Your not the only one haunted by these some of them can mimic a trout pretty good . The only thing I have not caught them on is powerbait but they probably eat that too ! Tightlines BF
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was surprised how aggressive they were. The 5-6lb minnow also felt like a snag, possible I hit a rock with my crankbait and it stuck then the pikeminnow hit. The nice thing about using a big lipped crank in rivers is the reaction hits. I can get down deep and put it right in front or back of large rocks, they almost have no choice but to hit or follow.

4. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    here is the link to the DFW planting schedule:

The DFW has planted lots of trout in the Crystal Basin lakes (Ice House, Union Valley, and Loon- although Loon may still have ice on it) You might also try Stumpy Meadows.
    WOW! Thanks that site is super helpful, even has a map you can look around with. I'll take my girl to one of the recently planted lakes, for sure we'll catch some trout, thanks again.

6. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude, that is one BIG squawfish! must have been fun to bring in. Good tip on throwing crank-baits for big trout.
    As to finding some planter trout, here is the link to the DFW planting schedule:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

The DFW has planted lots of trout in the Crystal Basin lakes (Ice House, Union Valley, and Loon- although Loon may still have ice on it) You might also try Stumpy Meadows.

8. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The infamous sqawfish! That second picture is a nice one from the looks of it , I would say 5 - 6 lbs . Your not the only one haunted by these some of them can mimic a trout pretty good . The only thing I have not caught them on is powerbait but they probably eat that too ! Tightlines BF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...........

10. Likes Stickman, BigUnInDaBoat, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Squaw fish are native to this area. Nothing wrong with catching them, just be happy and toss-em back.
    https://map.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/

12. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Large pikeminnows northfork american river, also anyone know of any trout plants?

First I'll start by asking if anyone knows of any trout plants. My gf is wanting to catch a fish and has never caught one. I've taken her 5 times in the past couples months and shes getting discouraged. Anyone know of any trout plants between auburn area and placerville? Just something we can throw some powerbait out and catch a trout, I'm guessing we'll have to go upcountry because its been really hot lately.

Secondly, whats the deal with pikeminnows. I've been fishing northern california my whole life and have never seen any. When I reeled it in I had no idea what it was, I thought maybe it was a bass/striper hybrid lol. My gf and I were looking up google images on our phones trying to figure out what it was and we finally figured it out. Also from the growth rates according to certain websites for pikeminnows the large pikeminnow I caught could be as much as 20 years old. I caught three in the north fork american river last weekend using a large rattling bass lure. Didn't see one trout or bass in the river, although I did catch a smallmouth last weekend farther up. Only fished that area twice. /TANGET, I like to use large bass lures for trout because I've had excellent results. Not only do I get fish following, allowing me to see if fish are in the area, I have caught some monster browns and rainbows even in relatively shallow rivers using them. /END TANGENT Not sure if all the pikeminnows are eating the trout and bass. I had 3 other hard hits I missed from pikeminnows as well. Thanks for reading.
    IMG_3134 (2).JPGIMG_3142 (1).jpgIMG_3095 (1).jpg
    Last edited by Goldcountryfishin; 06-11-2019 at 04:30 PM.

14. Likes Stickman, Paintguy liked this post