Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tomales Bay Water Conditions

Get up there, its a great place to fish. The water is a lot clearer than sf bay and there is a lot more vegetation in the water. It can make trolling a little tough sometimes.

Agree with what the others guys already wrote. I used to fish my 12 aluminum up there too. Youll be fine, just watch the gps for the sandbars

http://www.lawsonslanding.com/fishing-report.html

2. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tomales Bay Water Conditions

I second everything mentioned already.
    I crab & halibut fish there often in a 12' aluminum, just watch the forecast. Depending on the tide, there are some shallow areas that can sneak up on you. GPS with maps would be helpful. Or at least look at Google maps(satellite) to give you an idea of the areas to be aware of.
    Last edited by UsualSuspect; 06-15-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    12' Western Aluminum with a 15hp 4stroke

4. Likes one more cast, nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tomales Bay Water Conditions

Tomales is much more protected than San Francisco, San Pablo or Suisun Bays. Your boat should be fine. There are days when it gets nasty, but you don't want to bother fishing on those days anyway. Just be aware that an outgoing tide can move pretty quick, and the bar does break in a big swell, but so long as you stay inside the bay, you should be good.

It's a beautiful place and a diverse fishery. Halibut and crab are the most common target in the bay, but salmon do venture in at times and stripers / bat rays / leopard sharks / perch / smelt are all options to keep things interesting. Enjoy.

6. Likes one more cast, nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tomales Bay Water Conditions

Hey guys! How is the water conditions usually in Tomales Bay in terms of wind and swell? I plan to fish south of the mouth towards the center of the bay.

I usually fish the SF Bay and it gets nasty quick in the afternoon.

Is Tomales Bay an area where you can fish pretty much all day on a maybe 10-15mph wind day? I have a 15 deep V if that helps.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk