Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to get Brook Trout right now?

You'll find them in abundance in the high sierra streams, usually have to hike or backpack in.

Post Thanks / Like

They are in quite a few lakes, but not a lot you can get to yet. Winnemucca, Showers, Margaret, Crater and Burnside lakes off 88 have them. Grouse, Smith, Twin and Island lakes out of Wright’s have them. The creeks in those drainages also. Unfortunately with the big winter those are all tough to get to right now if they’re even thawed.

I’m sure there are plenty of other options elsewhere, but unfortunately I don’t have any great suggestions for another few weeks at least. Good luck if you find a spot.

3. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I pulled a Brook out of the W Carson on Monday. HTH

Post Thanks / Like

There are some still left in lakes but not much, they are a char by nature. The last planting I saw was a few years ago at Indian Creek Res. and it was cold and almost all of them died when they went into the water...…….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Today you will find less and less Brookies, due to the fact that the Calif. F&G has planted
    Browns, Cutts and rainbows in a lot of lakes that at one time was just native EB's.

For this reason a lot of people are getting tight lipped on where they go for these little beauties.
    If you look in the Calif. regs... they allow a ten EB's limit, south of hwy 80, with a few exceptions.

I also like the EB for the table but don't know if they will be in the streams in ten years.
    Good luck.
    I'm confused. When you say "EB" do you mean brook trout? They are not native to California...my understanding is that they have been planted in large numbers because they breed well in lakes without access to fast moving streams. There could have been native fish though in the sense that they spawned in the specific waterway. Not to split hairs, but I would call that "wild"...not "native".

To the OP...last I checked....large numbers of brookies are planted in Hat Creek...at least they were a few years ago...unless that has changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Today you will find less and less Brookies, due to the fact that the Calif. F&G has planted
    Browns, Cutts and rainbows in a lot of lakes that at one time was just native EB's.

For this reason a lot of people are getting tight lipped on where they go for these little beauties.
    If you look in the Calif. regs... they allow a ten EB's limit, south of hwy 80, with a few exceptions.

I also like the EB for the table but don't know if they will be in the streams in ten years.
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    So it looks like there's still a ton of snow to get where I'd like to this weekend and I was really looking forward to trying my hand at catching some Brooks. I've never caught one and I'd love to try this summer. I was looking at going up towards 88/Kirkwood area, but am really willing to go anymore within 4 hours of San Francisco to catch some. Does anyone have any leads on where some good places are to catch some?

I've got gear for fly and spin casting, waders, boots, etc. for stream or lake fishing.

I'm dying to get out of town this weekend for a day or two, I've been stuck at work for a long time with no fishing

Thank you!
    Ok so I don't know if caples is ice free , but I am assuming it is there are 2 dams there as you come in from silver the first dam is more of a cement dam . I caught my first brook trout there. I was watching someone just killing them one after the other . It did not take me long to go over and ask for advice . This guy was well like I said hammering them . His Secret ???? Well he was using a water bubble bout 3/4 full with a 3 foot leader, a size 6 light wire hook the top half of a crawler threaded on so the top 1/4 of the crawler was covered then he tipped the hook with a white marshmallow . When it cuts thru the water it looks like a baitfish kinda , but it worked . Nowadays we have so much more stuff but I would assume any pb nugget or power egg in white would do the same . Hope this helps . And oh BTW on the opposite side of that dam there's a trail that follows the lake to the back side had some great luck there too just not for brooks . Tightlines BF

Post Thanks / Like

The water is cold up there and it would be tough going for them. I like to wait until they get aggressive and swim across the creek or swim from no where in a lake to smash your offering.
    Last edited by MKE; 06-19-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where to get Brook Trout right now?

So it looks like there's still a ton of snow to get where I'd like to this weekend and I was really looking forward to trying my hand at catching some Brooks. I've never caught one and I'd love to try this summer. I was looking at going up towards 88/Kirkwood area, but am really willing to go anymore within 4 hours of San Francisco to catch some. Does anyone have any leads on where some good places are to catch some?

I've got gear for fly and spin casting, waders, boots, etc. for stream or lake fishing.

I'm dying to get out of town this weekend for a day or two, I've been stuck at work for a long time with no fishing

Thank you!

11. Likes bigfin liked this post