Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bullards Bar Help!

Fished for about an hour (10:30-11:30) on 6/22 and got about 7 or 8 bites, landed 4 (let the kiddos real them in). Fished between the shore and the houseboats. Orange and pink hoochies behind sling blades. 40-50ft OTW.

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I launch early at Dark Day. Use the usual... pink hootchies, wedding rings, cut plugs. Shoepeg with anise or garlic. We mostly troll near the marina and the main body. I'm sure others have found them in other places. Was there last week. Launched a bit late but still caught fish from 30-40' before it got hot. Probably bigger ones deeper. Good luck.

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Grncrestliner, I think i'll give all your suggestions a try. I'll post my results when i get back.

Trolling Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have not fished for kokes so far this year at Bullards but I have fished there often. Both for bass and occasionally kokes. The launch ramps are both in great shape and you have 2 choices. The ramp at the dam is 2 lanes and the walk back to the parking lot can be a long way up. Not bad since the lake is full but still a lot further than Dark Day. I prefer Dark Day and it is about 3-4 miles further from Collins but I like the parking better and the ramp is a lot wider.
    Now for kokes the typical locations are right out in front of Dark Day and then possibly either closer to the creek arm or closer to the dam but still not more than 1 mile from the ramp. I hear people are catching fish going either direction. From the dam launch ramp you might try straight across from the house boats against the far bank. Follow the shade line as the sun gets higher. Not sure what the current depths are for trolling but usually early you would start at 25-30' and might go to 50' as the sun gets higher. Colors are typically pink or orange hoochies or spinners in the same colors. Most guys I know prefer sling blades but I doubt that is all that is working.
    Others who have been there recently might offer advice as to depth or exact location but a lot of times you will see other boats trolling certain areas and you can get an idea where they think the fish are. I even know people who think they should go 7-8 miles up the Yuba River arm but most koke guys don't feel that is necessary. It can be a scenic boat ride so you might think about doing a long run after fishing a small lake like Collins.
    Last edited by Grncrestliner; 06-21-2019 at 02:25 PM.

7. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bullards Bar Help!

Going to be camping at Collins Lake next week and want to try for some Kokes at Bullards. Never been there before and need info on where to launch, any specific areas to fish etc.

Trolling Dave