Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather conditions in SF bay?

The bay is pretty much a safe place to boat. It just has wind chop in the afternoon. Although it can be pretty bad during the summer afternoons. The ocean has wind chop and swells. It can be pretty nasty out there and it will just beat you up on a boat no matter how big your boat is. By the end of the day you are physically worn out. The only time I fish the ocean is for salmon otherwise I like mountain lakes such as Almanor or Eagle Lake.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you had a good trip! The Bay is rough and choppy, but I've never been on a swell in the Bay that is so high that at its peak you feel like you are on a hill, and at its trough, you just see a wall of water in front of you. I've taken my little boat into the deep blue a few times, but did so with the best conditions possible and it can still get scary out there. I never go far enough to where I can't see land. Not in my little sled, but even in a 30 footer, the ocean can be a scary place. In the Bay it can get dangerous, I've seen guys flip their boat right outside of Mare Island all the way up in Vallejo because of inexperience. If you plan out your trips, know your own limitations as a captain, know the limitations of your boat, and can bring it back to the launch without hesitation if the weather turns, you can have a productive day anywhere. Just humble yourself, your ego and your expectations. It's much easier than having mother nature humble you!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO I feel much more comfortable in the Bay. Even with a 22ft deep V boat and a kicker, I feel very isolated in the ocean. In the bay it can get choppy, but there is always someone within shouting or visual distance of you for help if needed. In the ocean you are all alone and those waves can be very unpredictable. Again, I only have limited experience in the salt and would like to hear others opinions as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to lose a lot of halibut due to undersize line. 20-25 lb test they tear up. I now tie my hooks with 50lb test. Checking the line after ever halibut is reeled in. I make up about ten sets of leaders and it will last me through the day running four rods.

Good fishing report, glad you caught some fish.
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gligh1 View Post
    Halibut and Stripers are still red hot even in the windy conditions. After getting live bait tried a few drifts around Alcatraz for 2 stripers, biggest around 17lbs. Limits of halibut with about 15-20 shakers for the 2 of us! Stinger hook definitely helped, but I have to beef up the leader as they kept breaking me off on 20lb test fluoro. Caught them on drifting live anchovies and trolling hoochies/herring. Good luck guys, they are still biting! In regards to the weather conditions, the weather wasn't too bad until about 10am, then the wind was really blowing. Many of the smaller boats head for shelter around the pier and behind Angel Island. Biggest on the halibut was a 35", not sure how much it weighed.

Thank you all for the tips! It really helped out!
    Would you say that the Bay can be more dangerous than the ocean side sometimes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Halibut and Stripers are still red hot even in the windy conditions. After getting live bait tried a few drifts around Alcatraz for 2 stripers, biggest around 17lbs. Limits of halibut with about 15-20 shakers for the 2 of us! Stinger hook definitely helped, but I have to beef up the leader as they kept breaking me off on 20lb test fluoro. Caught them on drifting live anchovies and trolling hoochies/herring. Good luck guys, they are still biting! In regards to the weather conditions, the weather wasn't too bad until about 10am, then the wind was really blowing. Many of the smaller boats head for shelter around the pier and behind Angel Island. Biggest on the halibut was a 35", not sure how much it weighed.

Thank you all for the tips! It really helped out!

7. Likes nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

it's worth the effort to go stinger on the end, whether you use live or frozen bait. most of your hook up will come on that stinger. Just make a bunch of them the night before so you dont have to worry about tying knots while the boat is rocking. let us know how you do! i cant wait to get out again, but i always have to wait for the stars to align to be able to take my boat out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the pro tip! I'll give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a halibut spreader bar, one side is about 10" long and the other is about 6" long. I attach the weight to the long arm and the leader to the short side.

On the leader end I run about 16" back to a small Sep's 8" flasher and then about 18" back to the bait. Sometime I'll put a hoochie about 6" above the bait so the head of the bait is about 1' from the tail of the hoochie.

For the sinker I use 8oz or 10oz depending on current and depth. Just as long as you can see the rod tip hitting the bottom.

Sometime the larger flashers will prevent the line from getting all the way down. So you may need heavier weights if you use a larger flasher.
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

11. Likes gligh1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some videos on Youtube about how to troll for halibut, but what is your setup look like?

Would you recommend using the Big Al's fish flashers, Dodgers, or just a straight bait on a 3 way swivel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast