Thread: Tags for deer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tags for deer

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    Put in for preference points until you have Max. So wait 14 years and then pray you get lucky in a draw. Good luck
    There is no cap on preference points. You get one point for each year you do not draw. Max points is however many years the system has been in place. That total goes up by one point per year. If you do not have max points now (16 I think) you will not have the most points until everyone ahead of you is no longer applying for points. IMHO not going to happen if you are not already near the top. The only point games I participate in is the deer drawings. I can get to 6-7 points so I can hunt an X zone every 6-7 years. Not a max point zone but a better zone than D3-5.

Now if you are a really lucky hunter and are applying for an elk drawing every year you might hit a random draw tag since like the optimist said "someone will get that tag so why not me?". I also do not buy lottery tickets so I know I am not going to win.

I just looked up the most points anyone had for the 2018 drawings (published in the 2019 digest) . That number was 16. That means that for the 2019 drawings the total was 17. Next year max points will be 18.
    Last edited by Grncrestliner; 07-05-2019 at 05:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seebass View Post
    Can someone tell me how can one person get picked for elk tag,(CA) antelope tag and c 1-4 tags all in CA!
    As far as the elk and antelope tags they either had enough points to draw or got really lucky and hit a random tag. Maybe one of each. For the C tag a lot of hunters get it as a second choice getting it as a first choice is normal, so not that unusual.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on elk and antelope and rifle hunts.

Archery for me now.

I drew an a13 tag this year after 3 years
    Catch ya later ... hooks

4. Likes samcurren liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put in for preference points until you have Max. So wait 14 years and then pray you get lucky in a draw. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Tags for deer

Can someone tell me how can one person get picked for elk tag,(CA) antelope tag and c 1-4 tags all in CA!