Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on this boat- as first fishing boat

Quote Originally Posted by duhkevinz View Post
    Sometimes NADA quotes way too low for boat value. For example, my Stryker was only shown to be worth 7-8k on NADA. That doesnt seem right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depends on the age of the boat right? And if your boat is 20 yrs old Id think thatd be a good number regardless the additions you added to your boat. Its like a car. The boat loses value as soon as you get it on the road from the dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts on this boat- as first fishing boat

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    If you wanna check the legit value of a boat look it up on NADA. Its like the kelly blue book for boats. Everyone and their mother whos privately selling boats puts up some crazy number without checking the actual value of the boat. Ive asked some private sellers to check NADA when I was negotiating prices because if you go get a boat loan those banks use NADA for their value of the boat and they wont give you more than its worth. Its a reality check for private sellers who think they can get close to what they bought it for 10-20 yrs ago.

Sometimes NADA quotes way too low for boat value. For example, my Stryker was only shown to be worth 7-8k on NADA. That doesnt seem right...

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on this boat- as first fishing boat

Quote Originally Posted by Fi****swuts4dinner View Post
    I have really put some thoughts into what its purpose, size and space requirements and budget. Its kinda why im just looking at this platform. And yeah ive been on the delta in a 14ft and just just u stated.....sketchyazz. But delta isnt too much of a concern as im always going out there with my brother in a 18ft hewes craft. Also im not too concerned about having lotsa power. Id just prefer a 4 stroke and enuff guts to get move around the lake.

And so far most the guys with the brands^ be selling their boats at outrageous prices i cant get em budge very much at all. Havent been lucky enuff to score lol.
    If you wanna check the legit value of a boat look it up on NADA. Its like the kelly blue book for boats. Everyone and their mother whos privately selling boats puts up some crazy number without checking the actual value of the boat. Ive asked some private sellers to check NADA when I was negotiating prices because if you go get a boat loan those banks use NADA for their value of the boat and they wont give you more than its worth. Its a reality check for private sellers who think they can get close to what they bought it for 10-20 yrs ago.

4. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Senior Member FishItswuts4dinner's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    If this is your first boat I would recommend getting the biggest boat with the biggest motor within your budget and where you are going to store the boat. Just don't settle on a boat because you want a boat. A boat on the trailer will seem a lot bigger until it's on the water. Throw in gear, ice chest and three people and it will get small fast. Also if you are fishing the delta, you'll want a little bigger boat to deal with the waves and wakes from other boats. It gets narrow and sometimes those other boat will throw off a big wake making a 14 footer "bob" around like a cork.

I understand that the budget is the main point that you have to work around, but if possible I'd look for a 17 footer with a 90HP for a first boat. Maybe a Lund, Lowe, Tracker or Crestliner. One with a live well and a console to drive from.

Good luck.
    I have really put some thoughts into what its purpose, size and space requirements and budget. Its kinda why im just looking at this platform. And yeah ive been on the delta in a 14ft and just just u stated.....sketchyazz. But delta isnt too much of a concern as im always going out there with my brother in a 18ft hewes craft. Also im not too concerned about having lotsa power. Id just prefer a 4 stroke and enuff guts to get move around the lake.

And so far most the guys with the brands^ be selling their boats at outrageous prices i cant get em budge very much at all. Havent been lucky enuff to score lol.

6. Likes Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is your first boat I would recommend getting the biggest boat with the biggest motor within your budget and where you are going to store the boat. Just don't settle on a boat because you want a boat. A boat on the trailer will seem a lot bigger until it's on the water. Throw in gear, ice chest and three people and it will get small fast. Also if you are fishing the delta, you'll want a little bigger boat to deal with the waves and wakes from other boats. It gets narrow and sometimes those other boat will throw off a big wake making a 14 footer "bob" around like a cork.

I understand that the budget is the main point that you have to work around, but if possible I'd look for a 17 footer with a 90HP for a first boat. Maybe a Lund, Lowe, Tracker or Crestliner. One with a live well and a console to drive from.

Good luck.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Those boats are way too underpowered for your intended use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by FishItswuts4dinner; 07-09-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by burninfuel View Post
    https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bo...920941068.html

it's high priced, so knock him down to $4500

Im gnna try

Post Thanks / Like

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bo...920941068.html

it's high priced, so knock him down to $4500

Post Thanks / Like

off topic, I love how the sniffer language filter censors your name, haha!

13. Likes bigfin liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast