Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

The good old fashioned ugly stick. Shakespear also makes another line called "Agilty" that is fantastic. Either one in the 6 foot range. And for reels I recomend Daiwa. I used to be a big Shimano fan but they just don't seem to be as well built as they used to be. The Daiwas have a much "snappier" bale.

2. Likes Jetspray, Old_Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

Thanks a million guys! Gives me a lot of good info to go on. I've always had a blast fishing this area, but I never had gear that was very well suited. Can't wait until next month!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4. Likes RideNfish, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like a 7 foot Light Action rod pair it with a pflueger reel and Fish On !!!! Also if you can spend the money the shimano stradics are nice and smooth . Tightlines BF

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said. Go with 7' or so. No real need for longer. Line rating of 4-10 lbs is the ones I like. If you get to the 12 lbs area they are to heavy for stream. Also fast action is needed. It will help you cast lighter lures and such farther and feel every bump of a splitshot going down the river. I always stay around 4 lbs test but if you don't feel confident in fighting a large fish on that you can go 6 lbs. 4 lbs will cast farther though on the light lures.
    Have fun that area is so nice. I want to go!

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These are nice trout rods, Fish USA has them but they are incorrectly listed as UL. They are light action. I pair mine up with Shimano 1000 or Pluegor reels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7cPEzFf0Ijs

I use 4lb test Izor line in yellow mono.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 07-11-2019 at 08:07 PM.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like a 6 to 7 foot 2 pc rod for hiking that goes up to 8 lb test lines but will work with 4lbs
    to get the most fun out of the high country trout that will be caught.

I use 4 lb mono on 28" cuts at Pyramid lake.................. so it is plenty for a little "Native".

Have fun.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sstephenson View Post
    Looking to purchase a new spinning rod for a trip to Twin Lakes area (Bridgeport, CA) next month. I'm going to be trout fishing on both the lakes and nearby streams. From my experience in past years most of the trout are hand sized in the streams up to about 3 or 4 pounds in the lake. Long distance casting is important to me since most of my time will probably be spent lake fishing. I'd rather go with a longer rod and deal with the inconvenience of the length when stream fishing. Also, just planning on cast off of or near the shore, not trolling. I'm not going for any lake records

So, what I'm looking for is recommendations on rod length, action, lure weight, line, etc. Recommendations including brands are great, but I particularly want to nail down the right specs.

Also, I'm thinking about going with a Shimano Sahara 2500 spinning reel.

Thanks!
    When picking a spinning reel for stream fishing .It is very important that the bail will close on the rotation of the handle with little resistance .most will not .When casting upstream behind that perfect boulder and the reel does not roll thru .We all know the rest of the story .If shopping at Cabelas or Bass Pro most reels are attatched to a handle .Simulate a cast and see if it will roll thru .To shorten the story buy a PFLUEGER.

14. Likes bigfin, Jetspray liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

6 1/2 or 7 feet with medium action. You can't go wrong with Shimano.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

16. Likes big_trout24, muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

Looking to purchase a new spinning rod for a trip to Twin Lakes area (Bridgeport, CA) next month. I'm going to be trout fishing on both the lakes and nearby streams. From my experience in past years most of the trout are hand sized in the streams up to about 3 or 4 pounds in the lake. Long distance casting is important to me since most of my time will probably be spent lake fishing. I'd rather go with a longer rod and deal with the inconvenience of the length when stream fishing. Also, just planning on cast off of or near the shore, not trolling. I'm not going for any lake records

So, what I'm looking for is recommendations on rod length, action, lure weight, line, etc. Recommendations including brands are great, but I particularly want to nail down the right specs.

Also, I'm thinking about going with a Shimano Sahara 2500 spinning reel.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sstephenson; 07-11-2019 at 05:25 PM.

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12