Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Grouse Lake or Winnemucca

Have a day off this week and thinking of either Grouse or Winnemucca lakes to go fish at. I've never been to either and I know that I'll need to hike in to either one (which is also part of the fun for me!)

Any recs on either lake and lures to maybe use?

I might bring my fly rod, I'm still really really bad at fly fishing which sucks and I've got some good spinning set ups to use.

Any advice or help would be great. Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grouse Lake or Winnemucca

I believe Grouse (in the Mokelumne Wilderness) is fishless.
    I don't think it matters, as the access to the TH is closed:

BLUE LAKES UPDATE:

• Due to planned work by PGE at Upper Blue Lake Dam and surrounding campgrounds all recreation located around Upper Blue Lake will be closed to the public for the entire 2019 season. Recreation around Lower Blue Lake will be open. The closures include the following campgrounds: Middle Creek, Middle Creek Expansion, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site Expansion, Upper Blue Lake. The closure includes access to the Grouse Lake/Granite Lake Trailhead and all boat ramp access to Upper Blue Lake.

3. Likes MKE, yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJeff1 View Post
    I believe Grouse (in the Mokelumne Wilderness) is fishless.
    I don't think it matters, as the access to the TH is closed:

BLUE LAKES UPDATE:

• Due to planned work by PGE at Upper Blue Lake Dam and surrounding campgrounds all recreation located around Upper Blue Lake will be closed to the public for the entire 2019 season. Recreation around Lower Blue Lake will be open. The closures include the following campgrounds: Middle Creek, Middle Creek Expansion, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site, Upper Blue Lake Dam Site Expansion, Upper Blue Lake. The closure includes access to the Grouse Lake/Granite Lake Trailhead and all boat ramp access to Upper Blue Lake.
    Oh weird, I was speaking of Grouse Lake in the Desolation Wilderness, near Wrights Lake, off of HWY 50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Grouse Lake in the Desolation Wilderness
    Yeah, different Grouse Lk.
    PM sent

6. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Desolation Grouse lake had a lot of small brook trout last time I was there 5+ years ago. Winnemucca had the same last time I was there 3 years ago.

Grouse is a steeper hike, but will have fewer people. Winnemucca has some great views and flowers.

Cant go wrong with either in my opinion.

As for gear I use 1/8 kastmasters and z-rays. Also use Panther Martins. Key was to keep them small. Bubble and fly works too. Anything dry fly mosquito imitation, or bead head nymph for subsurface. Im not a fly guy so others can help more, but theyre not highly technical fisheries.

Good luck. Beautiful places and nice to get out of the heat.

8. Likes yell0wshirt, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you hike to Winnemucca, be sure to have a float tube or inflatable raft.

Fish the back side of the lake (between the islands and the shoreline).

My best fishing has been to troll from my raft with a red-white striped Dare Devil lure.

P.S. The hiking trail will be jammed with people enjoying the wild flowers.

10. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would drive to Crater Lake it has TONS of brookies and there is no hike with a 44.

12. Likes burninfuel, yell0wshirt, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a great day hike in to Grouse and Hemlock yesterday. Explored a bit too and put in about 10 miles or so in total. The hike to Grouse (according to my GPS) is about 2.3 miles. It took about 50 minutes to get to the top since I stopped and took a lot of photos. Hemlock is about .6 miles from Grouse and I'm told Smith is another .5 miles or so, but it's a harder hike. I hiked in with a full pack since it's good for me to practice with a full pack, but also keep the 10 essentials on me since I may choose to stay overnight sometimes.

Fishing was great! Missed about 12 hits on my lures, but the fish may have been small, but I also clip all the barbs on my lures since I only CR fish. Caught 12 brooks in total, the biggest being about 12". I used Red & Gold Thomas Buoyants, Brown Trout Buoyants all in the 1/6th size and Parachute Adams flies.

Just need to get a better net now.....

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread. I'm actually going to try to go back in a week or two and maybe stay the night. Definitely need insect repellant for these lakes though!

E6544199-A220-4DED-991D-55E887FF7777.jpg28E1903B-8B08-4DEA-9094-1A4FDD82BE21.jpg0306F9DC-42FA-4F03-A1AB-11A6E70E4486.jpgB7952B1F-7DC8-4376-83C6-F5AACA34486D.jpg

14. Likes RideNfish, MKE, Stickman, muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report and pictures!

Thanks for sharing!!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. A 12 brookie out of that lake is a trophy. Did you get any out of Hemlock? Figured it might go fishless as its so small but there were a few last I was there.

Congrats on a nice trip. The other trail to Twin Lakes and Island is about the same with similar fishing. Plus last time I was there a couple of gals were swimming in their birthday suites. That may have had something to do with my fond memories of the place.

Thanks for the report.

17. Likes bigfin, yell0wshirt liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast