Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grouse Lake or Winnemucca

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Luther Pass is off of 89 according to google maps and from 89 it looks like a shorter hike to Dardanelles and Round Lake than 88, hiking in from Big Meadow trailhead.

Is there a trail to Dardanelles lake? It looks like the Tahoe Rim trail can take you to Round lake, but it doesn't look like there'a trail to Dardanelle's. What species of fish are in Dardanelles?

Actually..just found a CA Fish & Wildlife article from July of 2018. All the brooks were killed off (453 fish) to get the lake ready to aerial plant LCT. As of June 28th of 2018, there were still no fish in the lake (at least none they could catch with gil nets), so maybe I will stick with my original plan to go hike in to round lake next week.
    You're right, I had 89 and 88 reversed. I backpack out there a lot and can tell you that 89 is much quicker than 88. Plus free parking off 89.

Here's a shot I caught of an Osprey diving and plucking a trout out of Round Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Canít recall exactly how long the hike is. 3-4 miles if I recall from the Big Meadow trailhead on 89. Slightly longer from Carson Pass on 88 but similar as I remember it. Both have some elevation gain and loss to them. Iíve never hiked in from Luther Pass which is on 89.

Float tube isnít necessary in my opinion. The west side of the lake is rocky and deep. East side is shallower. If you want to take a float tube, more power to you, just be aware the lake is prone to high winds at times. A buddy packed a raft in there once and spent the day getting blown across the lake and hiking it back around.

Good of luck if you make the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    You want to park at Luther Pass, 88. it's a quick hike, with some elevation, but not much. I guess elevation is relative, I've done Mt. Whitney. Anyway, it's only 3.7 miles from the TH to Dardanelles. It's 8.1 miles from 89.
    Luther Pass is off of 89 according to google maps and from 89 it looks like a shorter hike to Dardanelles and Round Lake than 88, hiking in from Big Meadow trailhead.

Is there a trail to Dardanelles lake? It looks like the Tahoe Rim trail can take you to Round lake, but it doesn't look like there'a trail to Dardanelle's. What species of fish are in Dardanelles?

Actually..just found a CA Fish & Wildlife article from July of 2018. All the brooks were killed off (453 fish) to get the lake ready to aerial plant LCT. As of June 28th of 2018, there were still no fish in the lake (at least none they could catch with gil nets), so maybe I will stick with my original plan to go hike in to round lake next week.
    Last edited by yell0wshirt; 08-03-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Question, did you hike in from 89 or 88? How long of a hike would you say it is? With a float tube and all your gear none the less, isnít that pretty bulk with all your fish gear too? Never hiked in with a tube before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You want to park at Luther Pass, 88. it's a quick hike, with some elevation, but not much. I guess elevation is relative, I've done Mt. Whitney. Anyway, it's only 3.7 miles from the TH to Dardanelles. It's 8.1 miles from 89.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Hey, you may have caught bigger fish, but how many sunbathers were there? Ya, probably donít answer that....

Itís a gem of a lake with some very nice fish. Definitely worth the effort to get there.
    Question, did you hike in from 89 or 88? How long of a hike would you say it is? With a float tube and all your gear none the less, isnít that pretty bulk with all your fish gear too? Never hiked in with a tube before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJeff1 View Post
    Here is my report on Round from 2017:

http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showth...79#post1132879

Hey, you may have caught bigger fish, but how many sunbathers were there? Ya, probably donít answer that....

Itís a gem of a lake with some very nice fish. Definitely worth the effort to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that recipe. I'll try it.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

I usually make it backpacking. Start frying fish fillet (I use peanut oil) skin side down. Then, after the flip, carefully peel the skin off and put it back in the pan, what was flesh side down:

The skin will usually take longer than the flesh. But your patience will be rewarded with crisp 'fish bacon' that is not fishy at all.
    Can be done at home of course, but typically splatters and makes a mess....

9. Likes PMR#9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJeff1 View Post

Hmmmmm....Please tell me more about the fish skin bacon recipe?
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast