Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bullards Bar 8/2

We have been fishing both East and South of Garden Point. We have been starting on the east shore and when we get bored we cross the lake and fish in on the South shore heading back to Dark Day.
    Vince

2. Likes waltc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    I have fished all of my life. But I learn everyday and disclosing my....aw***** makes me feel better! Lesson today....DO not grab the cable when the ball is sinking, be sure your main line is NOT over the top of the boom when you release the ball, just because the sonar says 200' don't relax and not check. I was at 50' and the depth went o 44'. Yes...Slight tug but I got it soon enough. The reward, not as many as most of you, but I took my 5 and went smiling.Wednesday, round #2. See if I can up that count! Again, thank you all for the help.

Walt
    Watermark and photo size. Did not need to be that large! Have to subscribe to photobucket and pay to remove mark. I am so dumb but learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Sounds like you took it all in stride. Very few folks post about their foibles but they happen all the time. Running downriggers takes some practice. As for hand cranking I just figure it’s exercise. Electric downriggers are awfully nice, but I’m cheap and need the workout anyway.

Catch and release of Kokanee has a lot of different opinions. Kokanee are delicate fish and don’t take all that well to release. It’s not uncommon to lose one at the boat and see it floating a few minutes later. In addition, these are planted fish that won’t successfully spawn for the most part (There are some that do spawn up the river). Just don’t be the guy who keeps a limit along while leaving a trail of dead “released” fish behind, and all is good. At the end of the day, do what’s legal and you’re comfortable with and all is good. Just my 2 cents.

Keep the posts coming.

I have fished all of my life. But I learn everyday and disclosing my....aw***** makes me feel better! Lesson today....DO not grab the cable when the ball is sinking, be sure your main line is NOT over the top of the boom when you release the ball, just because the sonar says 200' don't relax and not check. I was at 50' and the depth went o 44'. Yes...Slight tug but I got it soon enough. The reward, not as many as most of you, but I took my 5 and went smiling.Wednesday, round #2. See if I can up that count! Again, thank you all for the help.

Walt
    Last edited by waltc; 08-04-2019 at 04:04 PM.

5. Likes Genius liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    Awesome reply and I thank you and the others. Not only fishermen but gentlemen! Going this Wednesday for round #2! Yes I will be in the marina cove again. Blue Tracker boat.

Walt
    Okay have mercy on me. Learning curve again.....will try and post the picture. Choice was upload from computer or photo bucket (URL) so hang on!

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Sounds like you took it all in stride. Very few folks post about their foibles but they happen all the time. Running downriggers takes some practice. As for hand cranking I just figure itís exercise. Electric downriggers are awfully nice, but Iím cheap and need the workout anyway.

Catch and release of Kokanee has a lot of different opinions. Kokanee are delicate fish and donít take all that well to release. Itís not uncommon to lose one at the boat and see it floating a few minutes later. In addition, these are planted fish that wonít successfully spawn for the most part (There are some that do spawn up the river). Just donít be the guy who keeps a limit along while leaving a trail of dead ďreleasedĒ fish behind, and all is good. At the end of the day, do whatís legal and youíre comfortable with and all is good. Just my 2 cents.

Keep the posts coming.
    Awesome reply and I thank you and the others. Not only fishermen but gentlemen! Going this Wednesday for round #2! Yes I will be in the marina cove again. Blue Tracker boat.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you took it all in stride. Very few folks post about their foibles but they happen all the time. Running downriggers takes some practice. As for hand cranking I just figure itís exercise. Electric downriggers are awfully nice, but Iím cheap and need the workout anyway.

Catch and release of Kokanee has a lot of different opinions. Kokanee are delicate fish and donít take all that well to release. Itís not uncommon to lose one at the boat and see it floating a few minutes later. In addition, these are planted fish that wonít successfully spawn for the most part (There are some that do spawn up the river). Just donít be the guy who keeps a limit along while leaving a trail of dead ďreleasedĒ fish behind, and all is good. At the end of the day, do whatís legal and youíre comfortable with and all is good. Just my 2 cents.

Keep the posts coming.

Post Thanks / Like

All of you are awesome! I am taking notes from your replies! Not a rookie for fishing but kokanee....Not even in the first grade yet! I was just happy I caught some! 30 minutes to get the downrigger system. Funny home videos....I should be on TV! Got it set....took a seat...kicked backed...in less than 5 minutes...fish on! That was all I needed. Oh...do not grab the cable to stop the downrigger going faster than ones reel! I had to laugh at myself a few times. Really? Dumb!!!

I am catch and release until it comes to dinner! If I knew ahead of time the 3 were females full of eggs, back in the water mam!!!!

If there was not so much boat traffic and it was not 90 degrees I would have looked more. I see the 20/30/40 fish plus posts...I'll be there! Game on!!! LOL As soon as I get my head....(not posted) out.

Again thank you all. I may go electric when I get the okay. Hand crank at 50' not fun! Knee jerk reaction....again...do not grab the cable to stop the downrigger!

Walt

10. Likes RideNfish, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sharp #4 Gami hooks in a double hook set up might increase your hook ups.

I have missed a lot with the little #6 Gami hooks.

I have used a front #6 for the corn and a #4 trailer for the kokanee bites.

A single hook will work but if they rob your corn, you are fishing naked, which
    cuts down on strikes.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thatís a fine day all things considered.

My my experience with Kokanee is once you find them thereís no reason to leave them, unless you want a change on scenery. Theyíll go through spurts and slow periods, but they donít tend to get shy like some fish. Stay in the area and youíll likely keep catching.

Straight out from the Dark Day launch is a popular place, as is Garden Point. Iíve personally done well up the river arm a few miles in the steeper canyon section, but Iíve only done that a couple of times. They also plant at the Emerald Cove ramp and the fish tend to migrate that way more as the season goes on. Last fall we never left the 5 mile / hour zone at the dam.

Losing fish is part of Kokanee fishing. Donít worry about it and just go get another one.

Keep up the reports.

Thanks

13. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bullards Bar 8/2

Did not get there as early as I wanted. I only concentrated in one area due to the large recreation crowds. Started at the 5 zone in front of the marina and fished the east shore line. 3 in the first 30 minutes at 40 feet. Pink and green hoochies with shoepeg. Slowed down but managed 3 more after moving to 50 feet. All were 12 to 13" but very fat! I missed many strikes and could have caught more but not an expert yet! Marked many fish in that area. Searched a few more areas but don't know the lake that well. Had to quit at noon as the lake was packed with skiers. Only negative was the long walk at Dark Day to and from the ramp. Most of the lot was full and I had to park in the last spaces above the restrooms. 3 of the fish were packed with eggs? I need to go in the middle of the week!

Not asking anyone to give up a good area but any suggestions other than the marina area? Thank you all for the great postings in this forum!

Oh after a long search here in Grass Valley, as well as Auburn, I was able to find shoepeg at SPD.

15. Likes pointemdown, RideNfish, Paintguy, Genius liked this post