Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Towing - 2014 Acura MDX

Your boat is probably closer to 3000 lbs. The boat naked out of the factory with no seats, with nothing is 900 lbs. Add outboard, trailer, tank of fuel, equipment and other stuff close to 3000lbs. A vehicle rated for 3500 lbs is not really designed for towing. You can tow your boat with it, you are within the tow limits, but you’ll be stressing the drive train and suspension.
    I towed mine with a Tacoma double cab V6 4x4 with tow package, I hardly knew the boat was behind me.
    Always go for more tow capacity than you need. You definitely don’t need a V8.
    Watch the GVWR also. With 2 or 3 passengers, equipment, trailer tongue weight you may exceed it.
    If you get that vehicle be sure it has a tranny cooler or install one if it doesn’t. Over heating the transmission while towing is what kills them. The Acura MDX is a nice car but it wouldn’t be my choice for towing.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I towed the boat before with a Sienna 3.3L V6 and that thing struggled. Probably low tow hitch level didn’t help as well. I would buy a 4Runner but those things are pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A Tacoma Double Cab V6 is what I'd be looking at but then again, I like rope burns (quote from the Unknown Comic on the Gong Show ).
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Towing - 2014 Acura MDX

Quote Originally Posted by duhkevinz View Post
    Thinking about picking up a 2014 Acura MDX (3.5L V6).

What do you guys think to tow an Alumaweld Stryker?

I think the boat is about 2000-2400lbs with trailer. Car is rated for 3500 lbs. Would prefer not to get a V8 or truck.
    My V-10 F-350 has a transmission temperature gauge on the dash that I can readily look at. Problem with towing is also braking and curved roads. Smaller vehicles have a lower suspension rating even though they can tow. That means less control and more wear on other parts like things I have mentioned. I have a Stryker too but have a V-6 225hp jet pump and a 8 hp kicker. It puts my boat at the max for the trailer for sure...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

8. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Towing - 2014 Acura MDX

Thinking about picking up a 2014 Acura MDX (3.5L V6).

What do you guys think to tow an Alumaweld Stryker?

I think the boat is about 2000-2400lbs with trailer. Car is rated for 3500 lbs. Would prefer not to get a V8 or truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123