Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-lead ammo and feeling like Im being held hostage

your allowed 50 rounds per caliber on returning back to Cali

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mufishen View Post
    I just went to Sportsmans Warehouse to buy non-lead ammo for my 308. I was told I needed a background check, Ok I gave them my Ca drivers lic. and they said my lic was not acceptable because I had a federal limits apply stamped on it, I would need my passport or birth c. They asked me if I'd bought a firearm in Ca. in the last 7 years. I told them no, all my guns are hand me downs. They told me I would be turned down because I was'nt in the dept of justice system. The only way to get in is to buy a gun and have it regestered. This is BS Can I drive to another state to buy ammo, This is going to be the last deer tag I buy in Ca.
    It cracks me up all you hunters that waited until this year, and the start of deer season to buy non-lead ammo. We've literally known for years that the lead ban is coming and the EXACT date it was to be implemented. You could of easily bought ammo before june anywhere.

While I do not agree with the law, as it treads on our rights, you really have nobody to blame but yourself.

Sportsman Warehouse in Reno is stocked with non lead. No check on 88 into CA. Do NOT break the law.
    Last edited by BigUnInDaBoat; Today at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it's a crime to buy out of state and transport back to Cali with you , Not sure about that. I think you have to send it to a FFL ??

The Golden Shower State.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought 2 boxes 30-o6 before opening day, d3-4-5 California season, bought out of state 3' orange tag and licence. $500 and best price was a Big 5 $25.95 per box.
    Went to Sportsman's Warehouse in Carson City, same ammo was $34 a box.
    So I bought 50 bullets for my 243 GMX Hornady, at $33 and loaded up 50 cali rounds lead free. No id no BS and out the door.
    Come over to Carson Valley Nv. and feel free for the time your here.
    Last edited by burninfuel; Today at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be even worse now.

A person's 2nd amendment rights can be stripped based on heresay.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cal...un-seizure-law

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of funny that a certified birth certificate is one of the id's required, no picture of you on it and I'm sure I'm a lot heavier than my birth weight. I agree buy in a FREE state.

7. Likes burninfuel, Waterdog, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if you pay the $19 for the special background check you still need what California considers proper ID. If your license states “federal limits apply” then your license is not acceptable to buy ammo in California. Again you will need a passport or certified birth certificate. Or you can go through the unbelievable hassle of going to the DMV and get a new real ID license.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of you difficulty. Sportsmans Warehouse should have given you the 19.00 option. I would go to a smaller sporting goods store and ask them to do it for you. You may get a proceed or you may have to wait for the results but once it's done you should be good to go. I live in Nevada and they use the NICS system. If there is anything that's unresolved on your FBI report they will likely deny you. It could be something as simple as a failure to appear for a traffic ticket while you were deployed. Its hell to get that fixed.

Essentially, California is saying that the same rules for buying a gun now apply to ammunition. It sucks getting it figured out but eventually you will. Dont give up.

Post Thanks / Like

California gun control sucks. Any way it’s my understanding that if you are buying ammo for a caliber gun that their system does not show you own then instead of the $1 fee you can pay $19 for the super record check and if clear you can buy all the ammo you want.
    As far as buying ammo out of state it is illegal to bring more than 50 rounds back into California. However I am not advising doing this but Nevada does not enforce California ammo laws. A person can go to Nevada to Cabelas, Sheels or where ever and buy all they want. It is virtually impossible to get caught doing so. Again I’m not advocating doing so but I do know several people who have gone to Nevada and bought several cases of ammo without problem.
    They are correct that if your license says federal limits apply then you will need a “certified “ copy of your birth certificate or a valid passport to buy ammo.
    I have a lot of ammo so it will be a long time before I need to buy any. I’ll just say that I wont buy ammo in California.
    We are witnessing the demise of our God given second amendment rights.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 08-20-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

12. Likes MKE, zipperman, dennis l, wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mufishen View Post
    I just went to Sportsmans Warehouse to buy non-lead ammo for my 308. I was told I needed a background check, Ok I gave them my Ca drivers lic. and they said my lic was not acceptable because I had a federal limits apply stamped on it, I would need my passport or birth c. They asked me if I'd bought a firearm in Ca. in the last 7 years. I told them no, all my guns are hand me downs. They told me I would be turned down because I was'nt in the dept of justice system. The only way to get in is to buy a gun and have it regestered. This is BS Can I drive to another state to buy ammo, This is going to be the last deer tag I buy in Ca.
    I forgot to tell you, I'm USN retired Veteran. I paid my dues, and thank you for your service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast