Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Failed my first smoking sesh

The thermal tape I was speaking of can be purchased online, I think Amazon has a bunch of them, but I do not frequent that site much......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yearroundfisherman View Post
    So this just got delivered today.
    Weber iGrill 2 Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG2CNDL...p_mob_ap_share
    I picked up the optional ambient probe but now I dont know how to run these wires without having to constantly open the lid to the smoker which defeats the purpose. Has anybody used this system before and if so how did you run the wire for the probe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You insert the probes in your fish or meat when you first put it into the smoker. The probes remain in the product all during the smoking process so you are not opening and closing the smoker.
    Some smokers have a small port for running the wires from the probes. If there is no port, just run the wires out the lid to the module. The ambient probe is used to monitor the internal temperature of the smoker so it is usually just attached to or placed on the rack where it does not touch anything.

3. Likes Yearroundfisherman, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Failed my first smoking sesh

I use one similar but it does not have a phone ap. I bought some fire proof tape that I put around the door on the smoker, it is about a 1/4 inch thick and helps keep the smoke in the smoker. It allows the wires in and kind of makes a channel around the wires......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

So this just got delivered today.
    Weber iGrill 2 Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG2CNDL...p_mob_ap_share
    I picked up the optional ambient probe but now I dont know how to run these wires without having to constantly open the lid to the smoker which defeats the purpose. Has anybody used this system before and if so how did you run the wire for the probe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Jetspray, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Failed my first smoking sesh

You can also elevate them using stainless steel skewers poked through the sides of the aluminum pan, then lay them on the skewers. Did that a few years ago with a different smoker, worked great.......Jetspray

8. Likes Yearroundfisherman, 1fishaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just smoked 2 20# salmon using the following recipe(not mine) and turned out perfect...not salty at all. I think the secret is to dry brine(no liquid) and rinse thoroughly. Also the author elevated the fillets off the bottom of aluminum tin using celery allowing the salmon to drain out all the goo.

Salmon fillers will get dry-brined overnight in equal parts of non-iodized salt and brown sugar

Salmon rinsed and prepped-- cut into bars--1-1/2 inches wide--and go into the smoker.

After about 2 hours of peach and apple wood smoking, they'll get basted with a coat of the special sauce, eyeballed amounts of:

Maple syrup
    Fresh chopped garlic
    Tabasco
    Coarse black pepper

and then smoked for another 4-6 hours.

2016 23 North River
    250hp Yamaha SHO
    9.9hp Yamaha
    Lowrance/Simrad

10. Likes Yearroundfisherman, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Failed my first smoking sesh

I might suggest soaking the fish a little in just water in the fridge before brine work. Salmon spends enough time in salt, and you want to change that situation before adding flavor and putting it in your brine mix. As mentioned before you want to reduce salt as well to let the other flavors meld in. And please, please, do not turn it into jerky or shoe leather either.......Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    DOH! How did I forget to mention the REAL maple syrup!
    I hate anything else, most of the production stuff has a ton of corn syrup for the bulk of the bottle. Only real maple works for any recipe anyway.....Jetspray

13. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinJeeper View Post
    I do 1 cup of sea salt, 2 cups dark down sugar, and 1 cup maple syrup in 1 gallon of water. brine 12-24 hrs.
    Smoke it in Alder and WOW, tasty. I got this recipe from another sniffer on here. Turned out magical!

DOH! How did I forget to mention the REAL maple syrup!

15. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do 1 cup of sea salt, 2 cups dark down sugar, and 1 cup maple syrup in 1 gallon of water. brine 12-24 hrs.
    Smoke it in Alder and WOW, tasty. I got this recipe from another sniffer on here. Turned out magical!
    Last edited by FishinJeeper; 09-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Captain of the Little Liberator.

17. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast